FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

FRAME CASTING #'S

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

jd gray

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:18 am

FRAME CASTING #'S

DID THE 45 WLA FRAMES HAVE CASTING NUMBERS ON THE NECK LIKE THE BIG TWINS? ZE-35 OVER AN "A" IN A BOX NEXT TO # 12. ON MY WLA FRAME. THANKS, JD
<<

jd gray

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:52 pm

Re: FRAME CASTING #'S

i talked to dale walkster from the wheels through time museum. (a must see place!!) he said the casting #'s were correct for the wla frame. 8)
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:58 am

That neck was used on several different frames. Palmer's Military Book has five pages dealing with WLA/WLC frame identification.
<<

jd gray

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:26 am

THANKS CHRIS, THAT WAS THE FIRST PLACE I CHECKED. HE DOESNT MENTION THE CASTING #'S LIKE HE DOES IN THE BIG TWIN BOOK. MOST OF THE PHOTOS OF THE SOLO FRAMES ARE OF THE RIGHT SIDE. #'S ARE CAST ON THE LEFT.
UNLESS I MISSED SOMETHING IN THE BOOK. HE MENTIONS THE CANADIAN BIKES HAVING #'S STAMPED TO MATCH VIN# TO THE FRAME.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:21 pm

jd gray wrote: HE MENTIONS THE CANADIAN BIKES HAVING #'S STAMPED TO MATCH VIN# TO THE FRAME.

That was true in the early days of WWII. That practice didn't last very long.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:25 pm

jd gray wrote:THANKS CHRIS, THAT WAS THE FIRST PLACE I CHECKED. HE DOESNT MENTION THE CASTING #'S LIKE HE DOES IN THE BIG TWIN BOOK. MOST OF THE PHOTOS OF THE SOLO FRAMES ARE OF THE RIGHT SIDE. #'S ARE CAST ON THE LEFT.
UNLESS I MISSED SOMETHING IN THE BOOK. HE MENTIONS THE CANADIAN BIKES HAVING #'S STAMPED TO MATCH VIN# TO THE FRAME.

Whith the detailed description of all the differences in frames I would doubt that you would need to check the casting number. All the 1941-1952's used the same neck.
<<

jd gray

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:54 pm

my initial question was "did they have casting #'s?" if i was buying a bigtwin frame one of the first things i'd look for is the xe-35 in the webbing, even if the neck looked correct.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:05 am

jd gray wrote:my initial question was "did they have casting #'s?" if i was buying a bigtwin frame one of the first things i'd look for is the xe-35 in the webbing, even if the neck looked correct.

I guess you don't know that Competition makes beautiful replacement speedo/tank mounts that have the casting number on them. :mrgreen:
<<

jd gray

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:04 pm

YEAH CHRIS I'VE SEEN THOSE. ALL MY EARLY KNUCK FRAMES CAME WITH "THEIR"NECKS BRAZED ON. THEY'RE BEAUTIFUL, LIKE YOU SAY. USUALLY WE CUT UP A GOOD TEDS FRAME AND BRAZE THE ONES ON WITH THE CASTING #'S. NOBODY CAN TELL THEY ARE NOT OEM SINCE THERE WERENT ANY OTHER CASTING NUMBERS ON THE FRAMES :roll:
ALL I ASKED IF THERE WAS A CASTING # ON A 45 FRAME. NO ONE OTHER THAN DALE ANSWERED THE QUESTION. CHRIS I THINK YOU GOT A LITTLE SENSITIVE WHEN I MENTIONED MR PALMER DIDNT MENTION THE CASTING #'S IN HIS MILITARY BOOK. YOU SHOULD RELAX, BURN A FATTY AND TAKE A RIDE. TAKE LIFE EASY. 8)
Last edited by jd gray on Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Curt!

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:17 pm

jd gray
I think you need to chill out a bit. Chris is one of the most knowledgeable people on this board. He can be a bit abrasive at times, but you can count on his information to be solid.
Normally I wouldn't say anything to defend someone on the board. That's the moderator's job. But wait!!! I just remembered. I'm filling in as moderator while pa is at Waseon. I'm not going to delete your post, but you need to show some respect.
I'd refrain from making personal comments about people you know nothing about. This is a very close group of people. Most of us know each other for a very long period of time. Just a friendly reminder.

AND LOSE THE CAPS,please. No need to shout.
Curt!
<<

jd gray

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:26 pm

NO PROBELM CURT. ALL I ASKED WAS A SIMPLE QUESTION (THAT I DIDNT KNOW THE ANSWER FOR) . ALL HE HAS TO SAY WAS YES OR NO ON THE CASTING #'S. CHRIS IS THE ONE WITH THE SMART "A" ANSWERS. HE STILL NEVER SAID IF THEY CAME WITH CASTING #'S. MY APOLOGIES TO YOU AND THE REST OF THE BOARD. INCLUDING MR HAYNES. I THINK I'LL GO FOR A CHUCKLE ON MY KNUCKLE AND TAKE YOUR ADVISE. ALOHA, YA'ALL 8)
<<

Curt!

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:34 pm

Granted, Chris is incapable of a simple answer sometimes. Just trying to keep things civil.
Curt!
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:07 pm

jd gray wrote: CHRIS I THINK YOU GOT A LITTLE SENSITIVE WHEN I MENTIONED MR PALMER DIDNT MENTION THE CASTING #'S IN HIS MILITARY BOOK. YOU SHOULD RELAX, BURN A FATTY AND TAKE A RIDE. TAKE LIFE EASY. 8)

I think you think too much. Kinda reminds me of the story;
HER DIARY:
Tonight, I thought my husband was acting weird. We had made plans to meet at a bar to have a drink. I was shopping with my friends all day long, so I thought he was upset at the fact that I was a bit late, but he made no comment on it.
Conversation wasn't flowing, so I suggested that we go somewhere quiet so we could talk. He agreed, but he didn't say much. I asked him what was wrong; he said, 'Nothing.' I asked him if it was my fault that he was upset. He said he wasn't upset, that it had nothing to do with me, and not to worry about it.
On the way home, I told him that I loved him. He smiled slightly, and kept driving. I can't explain his behavior
I don't know why he didn't say, 'I love you, too.' When we got home, I felt as if I had lost him completely, as if he wanted nothing to do with me anymore. He just sat there quietly, and watched TV. He continued to seem distant and absent.
Finally, with silence all around us, I decided to go to bed. About 15 minutes later, he came to bed. To my surprise, he responded to my caress, and we made love. But I still felt that he was distracted, and his thoughts were somewhere else. He fell asleep –
I cried. I don't know what to do. I'm almost sure that his thoughts are with someone else. My life is a disaster.

HIS DIARY:
Harley wouldn't start today, but at least I got laid. :mrgreen:
<<

jd gray

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:15 pm

chris, nice story...glad you found a fatty. i think you think a little too much. thats why you cant answer a simple yes or know question. you got a good imagination (getting laid) :mrgreen: make sure your gas is on and battery is charged. at least you might get to go for a ride :wink:
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:36 pm

jd gray wrote:chris, nice story...glad you found a fatty. i think you think a little too much. thats why you cant answer a simple yes or know question.

I can answer a simple yes or NO question if I have the answer. But being as no 45" machines other than my '73 Servi-Car qccupy this property I had nothing to look at. I do know that by the descriptions in Bruces book it is simple to nail down the exact year of a 45" frame.
BTW My 1973 Servicar has 47593-39 on the neck. :mrgreen:
<<

Kurt

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:59 pm

jd, go to my site and look at item # 0280205

This is right off a 45 WLA frame forging.

Kurt
<<

jd gray

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:00 pm

THANKS FOR THE HELP. WENT FOR A NICE PUTT AND FEELING GOOOD. 8)

KURT, DIDNT YOU SELL A REALLY GOOD 6 VOLT BATTERY? I THINK I GOT IT FROM YOU. HOLDS A GREAT CHARGE EVEN WHEN I'M AWAY. I'VE HAD IT FOR A WHILE NOW.

SORRY BOUT THE "CAPS", NOT YELLIN' JUST CANT HEAR FROM RIDIN'
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:47 pm

jd gray wrote:NO PROBELM CURT. ALL I ASKED WAS A SIMPLE QUESTION (THAT I DIDNT KNOW THE ANSWER FOR) . ALL HE HAS TO SAY WAS YES OR NO ON THE CASTING #'S. CHRIS IS THE ONE WITH THE SMART "A" ANSWERS. HE STILL NEVER SAID IF THEY CAME WITH CASTING #'S. MY APOLOGIES TO YOU AND THE REST OF THE BOARD. INCLUDING MR HAYNES. I THINK I'LL GO FOR A CHUCKLE ON MY KNUCKLE AND TAKE YOUR ADVISE. ALOHA, YA'ALL 8)

Would ya mind tellin' me what you consider smart "A"? I gave the best answers as to how to correctly identify your frame that I could. Nothing that I see or consider smart "A". I am a plain sperker. Direct and to the point. If you consider that Smart "A" then so be it.
Plus I take offense that I should "burn a fatty and ride" Chances are I ride more in a day than you do in a month. I am a member of The Iron Butt Association. Are you? And I don't do drugs.
<<

jd gray

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:28 pm

hey chris, mabey you werent being a smart ass. i think i already apologized. as far as riding more than me, your probably right there too. i live here in hawaii and its only around 20 miles each way to work. unless i take the long way around (a few days a week) i ride at least 6 days a week plus plenty of recreational riding. how far is your work from the house and what are you riding? i've had the same chopped knuck for 18 years, no battery, magneto, kicker only, and is my daily rider. also a stock 39el i ride regular. i got a 97 road king in nc with over 100k i've put on it that i've done plenty of 800-1000 mile days on. some of us are shipping our stock bikes to oregon and riding to oakland next summer. no im not in the iron butt club, but i am a biker. as far as doing drugs, i dont do them either. here in hawaii, like ca. we have mediciple mary jane. safer than drinking. and legal. 8)
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:40 pm

Is this what you needed JD ? Pa

Thanks for keeping an eye on the forum for me Curt. I sure appreciate it !

How ya doing Chris ? Found me a VL at the meet. The fender wire tubing protruded through the fender skin a little. Hope the judges don't knck mutch off on it. The bike, all in all, was really a gem.

How ya doing JD ? Haven't chatted with ya for quite a spell. Them parts Kat sent to ya still workin out ? Stayin away from that lava ?
Next

Return to 45 Flatties