FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Right Hand Tank Shift

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun May 04, 2008 10:18 am

Right Hand Tank Shift

With a left hand tank shift, throttle is on the right. Is the throttle also on the right with a right hand shift tank ? If so, this would seem quite difficult to control engine speed verses shifting ? And how about the front brake control lever ? In other words, is all controls located opposite ? Again.... if so, routing would be a real pain as well. Heh ?? Pa
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sun May 04, 2008 10:31 am

Re: Right Hand Tank Shift

Pa wrote:With a left hand tank shift, throttle is on the right. Is the throttle also on the right with a right hand shift tank ? If so, this would seem quite difficult to control engine speed verses shifting ? And how about the front brake control lever ? In other words, is all controls located opposite ? Again.... if so, routing would be a real pain as well. Heh ?? Pa

My 1973 Right hand shift Servicar has Left hand throttle.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun May 04, 2008 10:50 am

Thanks Chris. How is the control coil routed ? What carb are you running ? I planned on using a cv on my bobber, but I need to research control coil routing before making a final determination now. Is your front brake on the right ? I initially mounted mine on the left. I am using the locking pawl style in combination with an early 41 and up, springer solo, front drum setup. Thanks, Pa
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sun May 04, 2008 2:44 pm

Pa wrote:Thanks Chris. How is the control coil routed ? What carb are you running ? I planned on using a cv on my bobber, but I need to research control coil routing before making a final determination now. Is your front brake on the right ? I initially mounted mine on the left. I am using the locking pawl style in combination with an early 41 and up, springer solo, front drum setup. Thanks, Pa

My 1973 is 100% stock. Tillitson float bowl carb. Right hand front disc brake on Glide forks.
<<

45Brit

Post Mon May 05, 2008 11:34 am

pre-war British bikes all have the throttle, hand-shift and front brake on the right ( apart from footshift ones, that is ). It's not hard when you get used to it. 'Sporting' riders would sometimes reach across the tank and change with the left hand and no clutch. Sometimes you see the gear lever shortened so it is by the riders' right knee.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

sleeper

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:25 pm

My 73 SrV also has Left hand throttle & R side shift.. Front brake is on R grip, with master for the juice disc brake..
Only year SrV to have a front Disc brake stock...
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:17 pm

sleeper wrote:My 73 SrV also has Left hand throttle & R side shift.. Front brake is on R grip, with master for the juice disc brake..

Actually all the Servicars built after 1972 had Disc brakes on the front. The 1974 & '75 had six lug rear wheels and different rims withour hubcaps.
No before ya get all up in arms i will mention that the 1974 and '75's carried 1973 numbers on them. They were built to avoid lawsuits with cities that had contracts to buy them after the MoCo discontinued the Servicar in 1973.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:26 pm

I knew the production ran into 74 but 75 is new news to me. Thanks Chris !

Any ideas as to how I should route these manual cables though ? Brake, throttle, hand clutch, timer ?? I got to be concerned with cable lengths and binding to boot. Pa
<<

45Brit

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:48 pm

I can't really see why you can't ride with the throttle and gearshift on the same side. Lots of British hand-shift bikes came this way, although they are rare in the US because the post-war export drive coincided with the change to positive stop, and they didn't have the Harley-type non-return throttles which make it even easier ( I'm assuming that an early-70s Servicar will have the same throttle as my old 1974 Shovelhead ).

You definitely don't want the hand-clutch and throttle on the same side, too awkward, so that dictates a left-side hand-clutch, British-style. I've ridden a 45 with a 'factory' RHS hand-clutch, and I would agree with the description in the manual, that it is an auxiliary fitting used for moving away from a standstill and not much else.

You will need to pay close attention to the whole set-up because the factory set-up suffers from being an afterthought, added at the request of the Canadian government for riders used to hand clutches, and so the lever geometry is all wrong at the clutch release arm; if you are doing without the foot clutch you can put the cable where the foot release goes, which is better. You really need a threaded cable adjuster, which the factory parts don't provide at either end. I know someone who once built one based on the general arrangement of a speedway bike's clutch release and it worked quite well.

If you have a disc brake you will have a right-side lever because of the reservoir. If you have a drum, you will still have a right-side brake because there's nowhere else to put it.

the timer then goes on the other end of the handlebar, because it can't go anywhere else; unless you have an Amal-type lever. Personally, I would have the Amal lever and not have a moving grip on the clutch side, but that's a personal preference.

If you have a drum brake you could reverse the handlebar controls and have a left-hand throttle, if that's what you prefer, but I think that the overall relationship stays the same.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:49 am

I'll be using both the hand and foot clutch combo. There was a really good topic on a fix for the oem hand clutch leverage problems way back when. I took notes on it. I have a servi front brake locking pawl style steup on the left side handlebar. Do to it's design, I feel it must remain there. I've pondered the throttle with the front brake combo. That leaves me with the hand clutch and timer on the right side handlebar, also where the shifter will be. The timer spiral will be cosmetic only. I am using an auto advance timer. I believe, and hope, I can get away with this setup, especially the right side hand clutch / right side shift combo, because, I will use the hand clutch as a helper to the foot clutch. I have very limited motion and strength in my feet and ankles. I need to hope I can master this control style setup too. The front locking pawl brake system is required due to the front angle parking I encounter around here, down hill right angle parking. My legs and feet won't push me out of such parking, neither will they keep the scoot in place while starting the engine safely. I need both hands on the handlebars until I get rolling. Incorporated into the bobber is a reverse gear also. This allows me to ease the bike out of those down hill tough spots. I'll probably have to feather the clutch while using the reverse gear, unless I want to become acrobatic. :lol: Assuming I can use this control setup as I intend to, my next gremlin is cable routing. I'm using a springer front end with a monroe shock, stock style horn, spot lights, headlight, marker light, fender, and 16" wheel. Pa
<<

45Brit

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:01 am

ok I see, a left-hand throttle dictates a right-hand clutch. One of the French boys posted a thread about the strengths and limitations of the factory hand clutch, and I can't really add to it.

Personally I would drill a new clutch cable hole and change the position of the clutch cable to improve the action, from waht you describe. From my experience, the best you can say for the factory set-up is that it works at all
<<

milwaukee belle

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:34 am

You should try to "adapt" ( or even build ; why not ? ) a B-T mousetrap ....
IMHO : this is the only ne good solution to get a CORRECT handclutch on a 45' ...
<<

45Brit

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:03 am

there is reference to fitting a mousetrap, on the recent thread about the external footshift conversion. Presumably that's why?
<<

sleeper

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:34 pm

Chris Haynes wrote:
sleeper wrote:My 73 SrV also has Left hand throttle & R side shift.. Front brake is on R grip, with master for the juice disc brake..

Actually all the Servicars built after 1972 had Disc brakes on the front. The 1974 & '75 had six lug rear wheels and different rims withour hubcaps.
No before ya get all up in arms i will mention that the 1974 and '75's carried 1973 numbers on them. They were built to avoid lawsuits with cities that had contracts to buy them after the MoCo discontinued the Servicar in 1973.

Chris- no all up in arms here.. Well aware of the '74 & '75 Srv's, & reason why..Have pics & know of one or 2 with the 6 lug rearends..
But HD in Milwaukee denies any knowledge of them at all.....And states: 1973 was the last "Official year" for servi's
Why did U collect a 73 ??

So actually my statement is correct, even if the 74&5 had 73 Vins.... :lol:

Return to General Whatever-Technical