100incscoot

Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:51 pm

i wont be able to get the cyl in the mail till mid week
all tappet blocks except 1949 were cast iron
<<

steph

Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:13 pm

Sorry Scoot '49-'52 where aluminium.
Don't have a spare rockerbox either, sorry guys!
Stéph
<<

hplhd1

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:42 pm

pa, mike, how bout i wait and see what nobody has in the way of parts lying around and i can try and help by picking up something that i can pick up somewhere as i don't have a thing in the way of parts. just let me know and thanks for letting me help out on such a noble cause. rich
<<

JIm

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:47 pm

PA,

What parts are you still looking for? I have a few lifter blocks, chrome or painted HD or aftermarket. I noticed that you have them as promised but let me know if you still need one. I also have all the gaskets if you need them. If you still need the spring and washer for the pushrod I might have it. Let me know or E me direct with a list.

Jim
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:48 pm

Works for me Rich. Thank you.

Thanks Mike. Do you think the tappet block would look good candy apple blue too ? What do you think Curt ? Wanna do the tappet block along with the cylinder ? Thanks again Bro's.....

The head, pushrod covers and couple of valves arrived today. Thank you Amklyde and Curt !!!

I will be talking with a welder tonight or tomorrow on plugging and the head, sealing the valve ports, and bead blasting.

The project is flying along wonderfully. Thank you all !!! :D Pa
<<

100incscoot

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:22 pm

yep your rite steph
i been doin too much construction recently

pa
i honestly think the cyl and tappet block would look best blk or silver but to each thier own

jim if you got the gaskets handy goi ahead and donate them so i dont have to go dig them out
i just didnt want anyone spendin cash on something i got sittin on the shelf
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:21 pm

I would prefer black for myself to Mike but brady's favorite color was candy apple blue so JC and Mimi went with it. Pa
<<

JIm

Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:44 pm

I should have the following gaskets

Rocker Box
Head gasket Might be big bore though I will check
Lifter block
Base gasket
Pushrod corks if needed

Will check what I have and post later.

Pa

If you want a Chrome lifter block I should have one.

Will also need an address to send it to I haven't read all the postings in this thread and just picked up on it last night. Should have looked earlier.

Appologies PA

Jim
<<

JIm

Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:03 pm

PA,

I have

Lfter block gasket
Rocker box gasket
Cylinder base gasket
All the head gaskets I have are Big bore but should work.
Small pushrod corks

I think I read this was a rear?

You want them you got them and anything else I have that you might need. I have been dealing with some medical issues and haven't been checking much on the site.

My appologies again.

Jim
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:42 pm

Thanks for looking into your parts stash Steph.

Thank you Jim ! No apologies are necessary Bro. How are you doing now ? I sure hope all will be ok. Yes...we are talking rear top end here. As you can see by the parts drawings below, the pushrod cover seals are acquired already. I still need the pushrod washers though and all of the parts listed in blue. Some parts listed in red are promised but have not yet been delivered or decided upon yet. Other parts listed in red are already donated. If I can get Curt to powder coat a rear tappet block , along with the rear cylinder he is already going to do, a donation of a painted rear tappet block from you would be awesome. One is promised ,but I do not know for certain if it will really appear as of yet. It is to be mid month before the fella can look for it. He is really busy with the biz right now and time is limited. He said he would buy one if he didn't have one on hand but with so much time going by, I am afraid he may forget. If you do decide to donate the rear tappet block sooner, I can just give him a yell to let him know one has arrived already. Several folks have offered to donate the other gaskets. Your offer to donate them too, adds to them. I feel ignorant about making the decision myself as to who donates them. How about this Jim, and all of you others who have offered to donate the gaskets ??? The first person who states that the gaskets will be on their way as soon as they receive a shipping address will be that donor. Email me at the following email addy for the address.... vtwinrebuild@yahoo.com All others who wish to donate from the list and drawings below can email me at this addy also. Please state urn project in your subject line so I don't delete your emails by mistake.
Thank you, Pa

Present Update on the required parts needed in order to complete the urn project.

Shovelhead experts...please examine my parts drawings and list carefully. I hope I did not make any mistakes by leaving anything out or by adding anything un-necessary for the project. Please correct me when you find mistakes. At present, I am concerned with the rocker arm shafts and their related components. See list and drawings below. As you all know, visual cosmetics is of the greatest importance. I would greatly appreciate recommendations on fastener finishes, etc..

part # 17550-80 (1 needed ) rear rocker box, good clean polish-able aluminum finish
part # 17611-66B (2 needed ) rocker arm shafts)
part # 17448-57 (2 needed ) screws, rocker arm shaft end, good clean finishes
part # 63526-57 (1 needed ) oil line fitting or plug to replace it
part # 18660-53 (4 needed ) screws, tappet block, chrome in mint condition prefer-ed
part # 6762B (2 needed ) washers, pushrod covers, 11/16 x 59/64 x 1/32
part # 6466W (2 needed ) washers, rocker arm shafts, 7/16 x 3/4 x .025
part # 7875 (2 needed ) acorn nuts, chrome-mint condition, rocker arm shafts, 7/16 - 20 x 5/8 x 5/8 hex.
part # 7753 (9 needed ) nuts, 5/16 - 24 x 17/64 x 1/2 hex.
part # 6702 (9 needed ) washers, 5/16 x 5/8 x 1/16
part # 63526-57 (1 needed ) oil line fitting or plug to replace it
part # 6469HW (5 needed ) washers, 7/16 x 3/4 x 1/8
part # 16814-77 (5 needed ) bolts, cylinder head
part # 16831-30 (4 needed ) studs, cylinder base
part # 7037 (4 needed ) lock washers, 7/16
part # 16602-30 (4 needed ) nuts, 7/16 - 20 x 1/2 x 5/8 hex.
part # 62375-57 (1 needed ) fitting, cylinder base, or a plug to replace it

<<

Curt!

Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:18 pm

No problem doing the tappet block in candy blue. I didn't find an oil feed line.
Curt!
<<

JIm

Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:22 pm

PA,

Sent you off an email. Let me know if you got it by posting here and or replying to it. My Putter is acting FUNKY, has to do with the way I am connecting to the net. Will explain in an email unless I get mental pause.

Jim
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:03 pm

Thank you Curt. We don't need a complete oil line. We were just going to plug it with the fitting and then seal the fitting off. Knowing the thread would help though, as long as it isn't a bastard thread. We could get away with just a standard hardware plug then. This goes for all of the oil line exits and entrances. Mike's rear cylinder is in route to you also. Thanks Mike ! I am going to shoot you an email Curt, a bit later today, so watch your email box. I got a few tech questions for ya.

Thank you for the hardware donations Johnny! They are a big help. Thanks for correcting my part number errors as well. I had 16838-78 listed as 16602-30 and 16837-78 listed as 16831-30. Darn aftermarket parts catalogs or is it Pa-Simers :wink:

Thank you Jim for the tappet block and gaskets. Thanks for preping it for Curt too ! I already notified the original possible donor of your tappet block donation. He will see if he can locate a rear rocker box instead.

The plugging and cosmetics on the head will be completed next week. It will then go on to Indianut for the engraving work.

The edited drawings are below for those of you who wish to contribute and for those who already have. Again....if you see any discrepancies in my drawings, please point them out. If you Fella's think I ought to remove the previous drawings in order to save space or to make it easier to follow along with the topic, please speak up. Thanks....Pa

Last edited by Pa on Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Curt!

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:47 pm

The oil line fitting is 1/8 NPT. I have a bunch of allen head ones I can send when the powder is done if you don't have them. You'd need 2
If the cylinder base needs plugged, I'll do that before I powdercoat it. It's also 1/8NPT. They only used them from 82-84, if I remember correctly.
Curt!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:42 pm

Thanks Curt !! Plugged and powder coated together would be great !!

So much has come together today and in the past few days for the urn I have had to edit the drawings once again. Johnny just purchased and donated a bunch of hardware for the urn and I neglected to post some of it as donated on the drawings earlier when I first made the edits to it today. It's correct now as far as I can tell. You Guys are all Top Notch Folks !! It is all down hill from here as far as I can see. Only a few more components needed now. Thanks to all of you for your generous support ! :D

I will be taking the measurements Sunday around noon for the assembly dimensions to the urn base. Monday or Tuesday I will go obtain the block of aluminum and block of hardwood for the base. I will hold off on machining the two untill I assemble the engine components in a mock up just to make sure my numbers from the engine jive. The engine I will be taking the specs from is on a running scooter and there are many other components in the way for the taking of accurate measurements. I will get the dimensions close never the less. The mock up is insurance that I got them all right. It is easier to remove stock than it is to put it back on. :wink: Pa
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:17 pm

A quick update on the urn progress......Tappet block is on its way to Curt for the mill work and powder coating. Dimensions for assembly have been taken. There was plenty of room to take them after all. Head goes to welder on Thursday. Still having trouble locating a rear rocker box. Pa
<<

100incscoot

Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:52 pm

i got a brand new frt rc box paul
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:05 am

Will a Front work with a rear setup Mike ? Pa
<<

100incscoot

Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:30 am

the only diff is where the oil line goes you'd have to plug one hole and drill and tap another
also the pr tube hole mite have a slightly diff hole angle but thats no big since it wont have oil in it
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:30 pm

You've got mail Scoot. Pa
PreviousNext

Return to General Whatever-Technical