FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

A plee From Fellow Bikers

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Psycobilly

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:27 pm

Thanks for the part #'s. If I can put my hands on anything you need, I will get it. I think that it is a noble thing you are doing, and would be glad to do my best, in return, for all the help you have given me. I may not be able to find these parts, however, I could get the engraving done.
Let me know the dimensions of the plate to be ingraved, and I'll get started on that. If anything else presents itself, we'll go from there.

Your Friend,
PSYCOBILLY
<<

100incscoot

Post Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:03 am

the only diff i know of in the earlier head to the later was the later used a long reach spark plug and the fins between the rocker box were shorter on one but i cant remember which had the short ones
both early and late will interchange

sorry for the slow responses i been busier then hell
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:57 pm

Thanks Psycobilly. I appreciate the kind words Man. I could really put your expertise to work on another part of this project if you think it is possible to do. We are gonna need to print a back drop for the finished urn yet. It will be used to set off the urn in a shrine like setting. Details of the image that will be used on it are not completed yet but should be completed in the near not to distant future. We think a 3' x 3' section of cloth will be needed. Can you print it ? Is there any criteria on the image, cloth, etc., that must be met to accomplish this ??

Thanks Mike. That imfo is invaluable . Does this mean we can utilize Amklyde's offer of a donation of a rear head then ? Will the early 70's rocker box bolt up to it ?

If this is the case and all these larger components will mate, we can get this ball rolling into full gear now.

I talked with Bob at Motorkill Cycle less than an hour ago and he gladly donated a rear tappet block for the urn. It will be around the 12th of February before he can get it off to me but it is a for sure deal none the less. He said he was pretty certain he had extras stashed away but it would take him sometime to look because of the swamped business burdens he was now in. He said that if he didn't dig one out of the stash by then he would buy one for the urn instead.

Putting this all into perspective.....I have this in mind. If all of these components will bolt together as planned, Scoot can go ahead and face the cylinder spicot off and turn a plug for the lower end of the rear cylinder he donated and weld it in. Then he can send it my way. I will finish up the cosmetics on it then, unless someone else wants to donate that task instead. Amklyde can send the rear head he donated to the person who will weld in the two valves. [valves are still needed] This person can ship it onto me to do cosmetics on it or he can ship it on to another person who wishes to donate the labor for this task. The head can then go on to Indianut for his donated engraving skills. Indianut will then send it off to me.

It seems all of the large components have materialised, minus the base components which are already in the works, and now we can target the smaller parts that are still needed. The base will be decided upon the urn assembly itself. The raw materials are donated for the base. Just the crafting will need to be completed.

Suggestions and ideas on how the sequence of events should take place are needed too Fella's. I placed my thoughts out to you as ideas and basic procedure thoughts. Nothing is totally organized as of yet.

Guy's........this is one of the greatest instances where I have witnessed such an astounding collective collaboration of Bikers, from all walks of the Biker lifestyles, come together as one common group, in order to make the wishes of another Biker Couple come true !!!! I tip may hat to all of you with the deepest of respect !!!! Pa
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:52 pm

Scoot.........Please do not face off the spicot or weld up a plug in the lower end of the bore in the rear cylinder !!!! As it turns out...we need a little bit more volume room for all of Brady's ashes than the emplty cylinder bore along will provide. I am going to purchase a rectangular block of aluminum that is thick enough to bore the spicot fit and also thick enough to give us the needed extra volume room for Brady's ashes. The thicker block of aluminum will also allow me to mill the tappet block location in. I can mill the aluminum block from the backside, leaving a flange type top hat all around the perimeter. This way the mahogony block of wood can be fitted to the aluminum base more effectively. Pa
<<

hplhd1

Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:13 am

pa, if you need valves let me know as i will buy them if no one has any laying around. just let me know what to get. great thing you are doing.rich
<<

Curt!

Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:49 am

pa
No need to buy any valves. I have lots of used ones. I should have a oil feed line and fittings. Have you found pushrod covers, yet?
I just thought of another service I could offer. I have a powder coating set up. If you want any of the parts powdercoated, I will do that for you at no charge.
Curt!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:44 am

Thank you Rich. It looks like the valves are now taken care of by Curt. I do appreciate the kind words and offer though.

Thanks again Curt. One exhaust and one intake will do it. I was going to leave the oil lines out of the assembly and just plug the openings but if you can spare them, we certainly will incorporate them. They sure would dress help dress the assembly up. New pushrod covers have been promissed but I don't know if they are oem or not. I didn't have the heart to ask the donor. I could use the guts for a set though. The powder coating service is a wonderful offer too !! We may need to dress some of the components up and powder coating would definately do that task. Won't know until all the parts come in whether the service will be needed though. Thanks again Bro !!

Update....

Billy has been coaching me of the board as to what fits what and his help has been a tremendous blessing to me. Thank you Billy ! I was woried about dimensions for the base/tappet block/cylinder/etc.. and Billy also set me straight on ideas for aquiring them without a drawing. I know several Bro's who ride Shovelheads and I can take the measurements from theirs.

Indianut has guided me with rocker box support/choice of chrome or aluminum finish on it. We have decided to go with aluminum because of ease of polishing and engraving. I think aluminum will go well with the polished aluminum base plate as well. I thought we had all of the big parts scored but it seems we still need the rear rocker box. It will need to be of the same year as the head Amklyde has donated in order for it to mate up. Remember fellas...It only has to clean up and polish up perty.

Small parts listed in the drawings are still needed yet. Thanks again...Pa
<<

100incscoot

Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:37 am

Does this mean we can utilize Amklyde's offer of a donation of a rear head then ? Will the early 70's rocker box bolt up to it ?
yes

It will need to be of the same year as the head Amklyde has donated in order for it to mate up

wrong
i have never found a rocker box that wont set on a head
in fact they are the same exact castings with diff drill procedures done to put the oil line in the frt or rear of the head

there are 2 diff era of rocker boxes but the only diff is the length of the mount studs

so any head will work with any rocker box by changing the studs out and since obviously this isnt going to be running it doesnt matter if the oil lines in the frt or rear
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:45 am

Works for me Scoot. It's good news too ! :D Thanks, Pa
<<

hplhd1

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:57 am

pa, if i can help in any way just let me know.rich
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:51 am

Thanks Rich...We need all the help we can obtain. If you want to score a top end gasket kit for it, those could be eliminated then. Email me direct for a shipping addy. Will this work for ya ? Thanks, Pa
<<

100incscoot

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:18 pm

i got the gaskets on hand no reason to come out of pocket for them rich
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:45 am

That is correct Billy. You told me all that. I appologise if it looks like I miss quoted you. I certainly did not intend to. If it wasn't for you and Mike, I wouldn't know what parts to turn down and which ones to except. As it is, I have had to turn down parts which were already donated in order not to duplicate them. Off the board folks have offered parts for both front and rear. I have had to hold them off until I could calculate which I would need based on which ones of the larger components were going to be available. I have also received various tech support from several others on the what fits what senerio in which I find myself in, which is mostly due to my inexperience with BT engines. The Pa-Simers syndrome doesn't help much either. Much of the other volunteered imfo donated to me in regards to tech support was inaccurate and it conflicted with what you Fellas related to me. I gladly excepted it anyway because they were only trying to help out and I didn't want to hurt their feelings. In my confusion [Pa-Simers] and not wanting to offend the others since they tried to help out, I needed to be certain all of the parts and components that were graciously donated for this cause would mate up with each other before the donors gave up their parts for the urn. If I didn't verify everything before excepting the donated parts and it turned out I missed calculated what I was in need of, I could end up hurting the feelings of the folks who donated the parts. I certainly didn't want to do this either. You all know I get confused everyone in a while [that's a given] but please do not let my confusion deter any of you from providing the tech support I dearly need. Thanks....Pa
<<

47knuck

Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:33 pm

Let me know what you don't have and I will see what I can get for ya. Sounds like a good project.
Steve H
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:50 pm

Thanks Billy. I know I can count on you.

Thanks Steve. I have not scored a rear rocker box for it yet. If you know were there is one that may be available please give me a yell. I'm not sure which smaller components are needed as of yet. I will be more certain of those when the other parts show up at their intented destinations. I will try and update the parts drawings tonight and replace them with the udated versions. Pa
<<

47knuck

Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:52 pm

Will go looking for a shovel part. New stuff for me.
Steve H
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:07 pm

Thanks Steve. Unfamiliar territory for me too, except for tuning up and and doing regular maintainance on other folks Shovels. I've done brakes and primary repairs. I've laced and trued up wheels for them too. I must have done pretty good tune up work though cause I never had to dive into the hearts of their bikes yet. :wink: Pa
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:25 pm

I hope I got these updated correctly. Pa

<<

Curt!

Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:43 pm

pa
Valves and pushrod covers should be in your mailbox in a couple days.
Curt!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:16 pm

Awesome Curt ! Thank you !! The cylinder should be enroute to you.

Rich...I better let you and Mike sort the gasket situation out between the two of you. Thank you both..

The head is enroute to me. It may show up as early as tomorrow. Thank you Amklyde.

Curt is going to powder coat the cylinder a candy apple blue [Brady's favorite color]. Thanks Curt

Any ideas what to do with the tappet block? I am not sure of it's material yet. It is not due in for another couple of weeks.

Still searching for a rocker box

Will take engine case dimensions for the tappet block, etc., next weekend. Pa
PreviousNext

Return to General Whatever-Technical