47knuck

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:56 pm

Beautiful, just beautiful. Some one has a friend that cares. Nice work
Steve H
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:15 pm

Everyone involved did a nice job on the components. I am proud to announce a new participant by the name of Chet. Chet is a good friend of Curt's and a true craftsman in his field of trade. Chet, the artist, has volunteered his help with this project. Chet will be completing the wood base for the whole assembly. I have viewed several examples of Chet's work and I must say his talents are rare these days. Thank you Chet. Thank you for joining the many involved with this project. :D Pa
<<

Curt!

Post Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:44 am

pa; I might just mention that if anyone else would like to check out Chet's work they can go to http://www.chetcale.com/specific.html?listingid=88
I posted a link to the bar base that he recently completed. THe photos don't do it justice. Chet has carved 28 animals into the legs of this piece. You find something new every time you walk around it.
His skil with wood, stone and bronze never cease to amaze me.
I know he reads this board even if he doesn't post, so, Welcome to the group, Chet!
Curt!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:19 am

Thanks for posting Chet's link Curt. Amazing talent !!! Pa
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:57 pm

More pics. Pa

<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:50 pm

Bringing you folks an update on the Urn project. Last week I was having dinner at one of our local restaurants with a couple of friends of mine. Patrick's Chop House is the establishment I was dinning at. I know the owner very well but I didn't know his father had just purchased a machine shop. Patrick's Dad, Pat Crystal, [we call him Big Pat], came over and sat down with us to shoot the bull for a spell. The Crystal family are out of Youngstown, Ohio and they are very well known there in all circles of the community. We were talking bikes and the Urn was brought up during our conversations. Big Pat was quite interested in the project and he was quite touched by the responces of the individuals involved with it. He asked how it was coming along so I told him were is was at the moment. Without hesitation, Big Pat says......." I can get that machine work done for you this week if you would like". I told him how the other machine shop had offered to do the work and how they were swamped with work at the time being. I also told him how long they have had the drawings and stock, as well. Big Pat told me to go to that shop, explain his offer to get the work completed now, and to ask them if they would mind giving up their initial offer of performing the machine work. Well..... I did just that. The first shop said they were sorry that they couldn't get on it yet. They told me to go ahead and take the other offer. This past Saturday, beginning in the early morning hours, I revised the drawings to accomodate, what I consider, a better mounting setup to the wooden base. No drop will be needed in the wooden base with these revisions. I hope these revisions will provide Chet more room to put his talents to work on it. Anyhow...........Saturday night, I dropped the new revised drawings and stock off with Big Pat. If all goes well, the completed cylinder extension will be back in my possesion on this coming Saturday. Pa

<<

47knuck

Post Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:19 am

Pa: A thought about the heart and effort you have put into this task. I am most impressed and a bit humbled. Amazing project and a most impressive project. Steve H
Steve H
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:21 pm

I can't take the credit Steve but Thank You for the kind words. This project is a joint effort. Everyone involved, have put their hearts into it. Ventures such as this project don't happen very often in ones lifetime. I am just happy to be a part of it. The cylinder base extension has been the main delay in completing the Urn. Once it is finish machined, only a few more steps are left to take. Chet will craft the wooden base and then send it off to me. I will finish assembly, photograph, crate, and ship it off to its' final destination. I would love to be there when Mimi and JC open the crate up ! I can already imagine the looks on their faces. I visualize the joy in their hearts, and the overwhelming graditude, pouring out through their smiles, to the folks involved, in bringing their Sons' final resting place to a reality. Pa
<<

Curt!

Post Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:24 pm

pa
Have you had any contact with Chet lately? He said he was waiting to hear from you before he could finish up his part.
Curt!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:48 am

Not lately Curt but that isn't Chets' fault. I wanted to provide him with a template before he begins the carving work. A completed cylinder base extension will allow me to draw one up for him. I could draw one up now, but if by the slightest chance, there was an error in the machine work of the extension base and Chet completed his crafting of the wooden mounting base, his contribution may be for not. I don't want to risk that. As soon as I get the extension back, I will have a given to draw the template up. My revisions on the extension should provide Chet with all the room he needs to put his talents to the wooden base. The wooden base will now be flat on the top. All mounting locations will be on that flat. Chet will do what ever his wishes to all of the surrounding sides of the wooden stock without needing to be concerned with the top, other than boring the cylinder pilot hole in the flat on top. The tappet block and cylinder base extension locations will be put in upon assembly.

I checked in on the progress, late last night, of the machine work Big Pat was getting done for us. He wasn't available. I am not a bit concerned about it though. He is a Man of his Word. He is off on a fishing trip down in Florida next Wednesday. I will get in touch with him before he leaves. Hopefully I can pick it up then. Pa
<<

Curt!

Post Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:55 am

OK, pa
I'll pass that along to him. He was afraid he was holding up progress.
Curt!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:08 pm

Thanks Curt. Heck no Bro ! Chet is roaring to go on the wooden base. He is just waiting on me. I got to chat with Big Pat tonight. He said "My man didn't get it done yet ?" I told him no so he called him at home to get to the bottom of this. His shop foreman told him it was ready to go into the machine. He had a couple of rush jobs to get out of the way first. Big Pat assured me I would have it back by this weekend. Pa
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:00 pm

I talked with Young Patrick, Big Pats' son today. Big Pat was a bit delayed. He won't be returning to Ohio from Florida until this coming Thursday. More time goes by..... :cry: Pa
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:06 pm

Good News !!!!! The cylinder base extension is all machined. I got it back tonight. I still need to inspect it and polish it up yet. The machine work was completed on it a week ago. Big Pats' trip to Florida stalled delivery or he would have had it back to me last week. He said it was done before he left but his shop foreman hadn't notified him as such. I didn't get to personally thank Big Pat yet because my legs were not functioning well enough to get around on them tonight. I sent my third Son to pick it up from him. I will meet with Big Pat tomorrow evening and extend my gratitude to him then. He won't except the thank you because he is such a humble individual, but I owe him a personal appearance and a thank you anyways, and he is going to get it. I know what he will do. He'll toss beer after beer at me and keep out out half the night, all the while telling me......."it was nothing". Good Man he is !!

I will try and get the inspection done before I meet with him tomorrow. If all goes well, I will post my findings early on in the afternoon. Early next week I will do the polishing work on it and get a template made up for Chet as well.

I am soooooooooooo glad this part is over !!!! :D :D :D Pa
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:40 pm

OK........... :D inspection completed ! Found only a slightly tight bore. Milling the flats on apparantly collapsed the bore a bit. I will skin cut it to house the cylinder spicot. Then I will polish it up and assemble it to the cylinder. Next...I'll take some pics for Chet so he will get a better view of what his is in for. I'll do the template then also. I will post those pics on the forum too. Pa

Now I have to go suffer those numerous beers.. :wink:
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:46 pm

At Last !!! :D The urn cylinder extension is completed !! :D Pics below.... I will touch bases with Chet after the holiday on the wooden base section. Have a Happy Thanksgiving Folks !! Pa

<<

JIm

Post Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:10 pm

The urn is looking gooooood. Nice work.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone.

Jim
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:17 pm

Thanks Jim. Here is what the completed assembly with the cylinder extension mounted looks like , minus the wooden base. Pa

<<

hplhd1

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:23 am

pa, everyones work came out great. my wife passed away 2 weeks ago after a very short bout with cancer. i can't bring myself to place her in the dime store looking urns the funeral homes have. having that unique and heartfelt piece yall made is wonderful for your friends son. i'll find just the right one someday to have my much loved wife in.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:37 am

My heart goes out to you Bro. I can't even imagine how loosing my better half would be like. May God rest Her soul and may He comfort Yours'. Mark these words...." She is still with you" You shall see this as a fact ! When ? How ?.........You will know this at that time. Respectfully, and with great Truth.. Pa
PreviousNext

Return to General Whatever-Technical