Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions General Whatever-Technical Bill Johnson---1930's Black racer&hillclimber

Bill Johnson---1930's Black racer&hillclimber

Pretty much anything not covered by the topics above. Short lived production bikes or vehicles, Electrical, Tires, Paint, Brakes, etc. Use this for tech questions, and "Shoot the Bull" for general conversation, no tech.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Does anyone have any any information on Bill Johnson, a black racer and hillclimber from the 1930's? He lived in Westchester, N.Y. and ran a motorcycle repair shop. I was told the AMA would not allow blacks to compete in events back them. The story goes that he was the first black to race in AMA. If you have any information I'd like to hear from you. Thank you, best wishes for the New Year!

Post Thu Feb 08, 2001 4:34 am

I used to sit and talk with old Bill Johnson. On a sunny day I would go over to his shop where he lived and help him outside and sit him in the sun. His bedroom was wallpapered with playboy centerfolds. I would talk to him about the knuckle motor. He had parts in the back of the shop and I would go in and root though and buy what I wanted. Contact me at

Post Fri Feb 09, 2001 10:51 am

Keep us posted here too! This is interesting!

Eric :: Knk45
A state of the art power quest

Return to General Whatever-Technical