Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions General Whatever-Technical another title ???

another title ???

Pretty much anything not covered by the topics above. Short lived production bikes or vehicles, Electrical, Tires, Paint, Brakes, etc. Use this for tech questions, and "Shoot the Bull" for general conversation, no tech.
Post Wed Nov 01, 2000 6:44 am

Posts: 28
Location: Cole Camp, Mo. 65325
I getting real close to being able to ride my 1942 wla. I bought the bike with no title.
I've had a trooper friend run numbers, not on file. The guy I bought it from had title but wife washed it and original owner is dead.
I e-mailed DMV and they said I might qualify for a bonded title. I don't think so,it has to be under $3000 and I have to put up twice the appraised amount for three years to see if anyone contests it with a real title.

Now for the question has anyone ever had one titled in Al. and had any problems. A lot of my friends have done this with cars but no motorcycles. You send people the numbers and they send you an Al registration and plate. then you take to local patrol and transfer to
your state orig. title. I believe you pay taxes on what you have not a 2000.

any feedback??

Post Wed Nov 01, 2000 2:30 pm

Posts: 3158
Location: Central Illinois, USA
Out of state "loophole" title washers should be illegal, as it allows thieves to profit.
I had a stupidglide come in once that turned out to have a Goldwing title tagged to it. Guess how?

It cost nothing in Illinois to have it corrected by the authorities, after the papertrail was laid out.

Bonding rules are actually made up by insurance companies, not your state. A bond is nothing but a policy. Get a new agent.

Secure a bill of sale and a licensed dealer's inspection/appraisal, and try again. Bonding, titling and registration as an antique in Illinois is about $125 total, and the paper comes stamped 'original'.

Post Wed Nov 01, 2000 2:47 pm
In Wis. you can apply for a lost title it costs 8.00 and all you have to do is get a letter from the previous owners whom you still know absolving all rights to the bike, and turning over to you . This along with a bill of sale and having them both notarized you have a title. I'm not sure if you can do this in your state, but check it out.

Post Wed Nov 01, 2000 4:49 pm

Posts: 28
Location: Cole Camp, Mo. 65325
I'm not a thief and the bike was not stolen, I had a state patrol that I grew up with check all the numbers, although I can see how the out-of-state system would work to a bottom feeders advantage. My local DMV is a bunch of old women who don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Thats why i e-mailed the state office. The bonded title is through the state not my insurance company, but I don't think I will qualify because of the total value. I'm about ready to title my Hodaka and just use the plate and hope for the best.

Return to General Whatever-Technical