Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions General Whatever-Technical Decromeing

Pretty much anything not covered by the topics above. Short lived production bikes or vehicles, Electrical, Tires, Paint, Brakes, etc. Use this for tech questions, and "Shoot the Bull" for general conversation, no tech.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Fri Mar 17, 2000 5:52 am

Just picked up afront end to put on my 45flatrat and the crome is bubbled real bad any one out there got any Ides on how to remove the crome so i can polish them out
CROME DON'T GET YOU HOME and every time i put some thing crome on the o'girl she trys to brake something just to spite me.
Thank you Flatrat Richard

Post Fri Mar 17, 2000 9:33 am

best way is go to a chromeplate shop and have the parts dechromed electrolitic. another way to have (only)the chrome removed is a plastic tub with soda ,put the part in,let a batterychargercurrent go through the part (+)towards a piece of metal connected to (-),this strips off the chrome.
If you want to take off both chrom, nickel and copper,use sulpuric acid(battery liquid)instead of soda,be very carefull ,use glasses ,gloves,and don t let in too long or your part will disappear!!warning:if you use last method on brazed parts,the brazing can also be weakened..,hope this gives you some idea.

Post Sat Apr 15, 2000 9:24 am
Pa Site Admin

Rein, is that baking soda? and what part soda verses what part water? also, do you mean connect both leads - and + to each end of the submerged part and then turn on the battery charger?
Thanks Pa

Post Sat Apr 15, 2000 2:26 pm

Ck out this site about cleaning with washing soda and electricity.

[This message has been edited by Dusty-Dave (edited 15 April 2000).]

Post Sun Apr 16, 2000 12:03 am

Cool Dave , the guy describes the process perfectly and cheap

Return to General Whatever-Technical