Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions General Whatever-Technical Valve nitriding services?

Valve nitriding services?

Pretty much anything not covered by the topics above. Short lived production bikes or vehicles, Electrical, Tires, Paint, Brakes, etc. Use this for tech questions, and "Shoot the Bull" for general conversation, no tech.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Mon Mar 06, 2000 4:46 pm

Bless these Boards, as there are few places I can ask this! Where can I have a handful of custom (Chief) valves nitrided? I can have them hard-chromed, but I am not in love with the result. The main problem is that they are stainless, and the guides are soft cast iron, and I expect 1200+ F exhaust temps, (but you knew that...)..Thanks in advance!..Cotten

Post Thu Mar 09, 2000 4:31 am

Rowe mfg might do it for you

Post Thu Mar 16, 2000 5:50 am

Cotten: not that this answers your ??, but what's your experience with bronze guides?

Post Thu Mar 16, 2000 1:24 pm

There's a time an a place for everything, but rarely would I suggest bronze or Ampco 45 for a flatty. These materials have a habit of swelling under extreme heat. I have known of Aluminum headed OHV's that ran excellent in Illinois, but stuck valves bad in Arizona heat. It's always Arizona inside a Chief.
I haven't tried Rowe directly yet, but most smaller suppliers had a $150 minimum! Still searching....

Return to General Whatever-Technical