FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

blowing bulbs

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

krusey

Post Mon Mar 13, 2000 5:18 am

blowing bulbs

I just got my 93 inch shovel through the D.O.T. inspection and I wanna ride. problem is that every time I rev the motor up the headlight blows and the tailight to. running a magnito without a battery. I have one of those battery elliminatos on it and that smooths out the pulsing lights at slow engine speeds but they still blow at about half throttle or so.
Is the regulator junk? the first one would not give lights untill the engine was almost rapped out but didn't blow bulbs.
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Mon Mar 13, 2000 6:36 am

Krusey:
The regulator is allowing the voltage to go to high. What regulator are you using? Most regulators don't have a fast enough reaction time to work with out the capacitance of a battery. I don't have much experiance with the newer solid state regulators. But never had any trouble with the Bosh that Hardly used on the XLCH that came with out a battery in the 50's and 60's this regulator does require the capacitor that Hardly called a horn capacitor. Actually it was to smooth out the current surges that cause flicker and regulator dammage.
Dusty
<<

krusey

Post Mon Mar 13, 2000 7:13 pm

it is a solid state type. on an alternator shovel. will the older type regulator work with this setup? surely someone has run an alternator without a battery before.

I do have the accel battery eliminator. it just looks like a large capacitor.
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Thu Mar 16, 2000 2:57 am

Krusey:
Didn't realise that it was an alternator. Have someone check the battery eliminator to see if the capacitance seems reasonable and that it isn't open or shorted. If you have a ohm meter it should read shorted to ground for a second or so while it charges then open. A digital meter may be too slow to catch the shorted period. then reverse the leads and it should do it again. Not as good as testing with a capacitance meter but catches the majority of bad capacitors.
When you buy the new voltage regulator you might try a different brand. It must be for an alternator sorry I just thought we were talking about a generator.
Also you must leave the lights on all the time. I had a Sportster without battery that started eating regulators after I hotroded the engine. It hadn't given any trouble before. And didn't give any more after I figured out that I had to leave the lights on all the time and took out the switch. It could change rpm so much faster than before and the regulator couldn't keep up. More capacitor would have cured it also.
Dusty

Return to General Whatever-Technical