Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions General Whatever-Technical Eliminating Battery,Installing Magneto.

Eliminating Battery,Installing Magneto.

Pretty much anything not covered by the topics above. Short lived production bikes or vehicles, Electrical, Tires, Paint, Brakes, etc. Use this for tech questions, and "Shoot the Bull" for general conversation, no tech.

Post Mon Feb 21, 2000 7:27 am

Shotgun:
I have never found a 6V regulator that has a fast enough reaction time to work without a battery for any length of time. However if you change to a 12V generator the regulator and capacitor (Harley parts books call it a horn capacitor but it realy is to protect the regulator) for a late 50s XLCH without battery will cure your problems. Except that some states require the headlight and tail light to stay on for 3 minutes with out the engine runing to get a safety sticker. I used to tie a battery on with a bungee cord long enough to get inspected.
Dusty

Post Tue Feb 22, 2000 4:41 am

Shotgun:
I don' remember for sure seems like the top of the shaft was different on tach cable mags.
If the capacitor isn't avialble anymore you can measure one ( seems like the value was stamped on the end )and get a subtute from most any electronics supply. Same with the regulator I used to buy them from a Bosh wholesaler for about half of what Hardly wanted. But you will have to find someone that has one to get the number as I can't find the note book that had the number.
Dusty

Return to General Whatever-Technical