Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions General Whatever-Technical Early Shovels

Early Shovels

Pretty much anything not covered by the topics above. Short lived production bikes or vehicles, Electrical, Tires, Paint, Brakes, etc. Use this for tech questions, and "Shoot the Bull" for general conversation, no tech.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Mon Oct 11, 1999 7:50 pm

Does anyone else out there have an early ('66-'69) Shovel? I just got my '68 this summer and I'm LOVIN' IT!
I'd like to hear from other Gen. Shovel owners, or just anyone that wants to talk about 'em!

Post Wed Oct 20, 1999 1:42 pm

Hi Denny,

The more I fuck around with alternators, rectifiers and associated crap, the better I like a Porkchop engine. At least you can fix a Generator instead of shitcanning it for a new (and over-priced) one.

Luck with your Shovel.

Post Mon Oct 25, 1999 10:34 pm

Porkchop! I like that...Yes, you may have to dick with the generator more often than you would with an alternator, but it sure is a hell of a lot easier to get it off the bike...two bolts, 3 wires, and you're done. I've replaced a couple of stators on later Shovels and it's no picnic.
Thanks for the reply - I got a good email from Tom also about possible rod problems on early Shovels.
Denny '69 FLH

Return to General Whatever-Technical