Post Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:20 pm

Book review HD 1930-1941 Revolutionary MC's/H.Wagner

Cotton told me to get this book, so I did.

Not a real review, I have just given the book a good skim-through. First impressions.

Bitchen book, really high quality. Only $20.00 bucks, such a deal. Just the pictures are worth the price.

Although it did give a good narrative about the early bikes, and then much information about the VL's, it's really a Knucklehead book, and that (background on the JD's, Vl's) is mostly background leading up to the Knuck, and then it's mostly all knuck-knuck-knuck from there. Really skipped over the U bikes. In fact, surprise, there's a Knucklehead on the cover. I would have liked to see some comparison between the V's and the U's, but I got the impression that the author considers both to be the same engine, 74 and 80 inch flatheads, in spite of the difference in the oiling systems. And that may be, the cylinders and heads didn't really change.

But the critique of the flathead is based on the V, and it's backed up pretty well with interview/testimony from those that were there.

The information on flatheads in general, their drawbacks and flaws, and how that led to the OHV was good. But really nothing about the U bikes, and everything about the Knuck! And that's okay. Explains pretty well why HD went to the OHV, but not why the U continued to be produced for so long. ?

k.