Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions General Whatever-Technical Shovelhead wheel in 45 flathead

Shovelhead wheel in 45 flathead

Pretty much anything not covered by the topics above. Short lived production bikes or vehicles, Electrical, Tires, Paint, Brakes, etc. Use this for tech questions, and "Shoot the Bull" for general conversation, no tech.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:02 am

Has anyone used a shovelhead-type, two-flange wheel in a 45 frame?

Right now my flathead project bike is being fitted with Sportster wheels and disc brakes. Do the critical dimensions (axle diameter, chain offset, disc offset) match on the shovelhead wheel? I have a Shovelhead surplus from the earlier Glide conversion (the forks have been sold) and it might be useful to repurpose it as a spare back wheel for the 45.

I'm offshore and can't check any if this right now.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Post Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:10 pm

My 45, when it was still in the 45 frame, had a big-twin rear wheel on it, (darn right it geared it down a bit) and I think it was a straight bolt up. But I'm pretty sure it was an early wheel and brake. (mechanical) As far as later year wheels like a shovel, I don't know. I do know the later shovel wheels were/are slightly different, different hub and different off-set I think. I know a shovel wheel wouldn't work on my UL frame if I just bolted the brake drum to it. But I could flip the wheel over, and put in on the back of a 45.

Hope that helped, made sense, or was somewhat close to what you were asking.

Post Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:55 am

I'm as sure as I can be that the swap can be done, fairly easily. The two-flange Shovelhead wheel certsinly doesn't interchange with the mechanical or hydraulic drum type. However the axle size is the same for Sportsters and shovels fitted with the banana caliper, offsets appear to match and sprocket or rotor will fit either flange,

So a Shovelhead wheel can easily be reconfigured to fit the right-side chain, left-side brake Sportster set-up and the chain and rotor will fit the respective lines... I think.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Post Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:34 am

For rear wheel I do not know how this can be done, probably you will have difficulty with speedometer, with getting a sprocket on there, overall spacing, special axle and spacers needed, how to mount brake to frame etc.. For the front it would take a 19mm axle I think and outside rockers on the fork that can fit 19mm axles ( these rockers exist) and an extra brake tab welded to your fork for dual disc (also exists)

Return to General Whatever-Technical