Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions General Whatever-Technical Lightest tappet

Lightest tappet

Pretty much anything not covered by the topics above. Short lived production bikes or vehicles, Electrical, Tires, Paint, Brakes, etc. Use this for tech questions, and "Shoot the Bull" for general conversation, no tech.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:43 am

Is the three holed ,thin walled roller tappet used in KHK Models the lightest tappet made ? If not what is the lighest weight roller tappet made that can be used in a flathead ? Thanks. :D :D

Post Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:10 pm

Are you also going to have the lightest rider on the bike? :D

Post Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:21 am

You know Chris you touched on really a funny point , it does seem futile to have a lightened chrome moly frame ,titanium this and that ,everything drilled and lightend and then top it off with an over 200 pounder (and I am sadly understating the poundage in my case) . Kinda like putting a watermellon on top of a banana split instead of a cherry . Yes,in the event I try to set a record for the fastest flathead in the history of the known universe I will definitely not have my elephant sized butt in the saddle . Thanks again for your humor ,we could use more of this in our lives from time to time . Now back to the technical issue at hand , is there a lighter weight roller tappet than the thin walled three holed KHK tappet ? :D :D

Post Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:27 am

I know the subject is lifters, but extending it to other valve train components, I'm looking at some KHK valve train components on hand and find the weights as follows - lifters ~ 82 g, and IN and EX valves ~ 117 g and ~ 112 g respectively. I can't remember what you're using for valves, but when you go for the FH speed record of the universe, perhaps it might be easier and a more significant weight savings to go with titanium valves than it would be with a lifter change.

Post Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:53 am

Search the archives. Some years back one of the folks actually found an HD lifter that was lighter than the KHK lifter by a few grams. I think it was a late HD servicar part number, but I don't recall for sure.

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:15 pm

Thanks for the responses I'll use the ironhead sportster tappets and drill them myself. :D :D

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:35 pm
jib

and you could try out these blanks for size

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Titanium-Conn ... 3e5&_uhb=1

:D ,regards jib
Dude, check out that jibhead, he's crazy. Hasn't been sober for 40 years

Post Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:35 pm

WZ507 wrote:
I know the subject is lifters, but extending it to other valve train components, I'm looking at some KHK valve train components on hand and find the weights as follows - lifters ~ 82 g, and IN and EX valves ~ 117 g and ~ 112 g respectively. I can't remember what you're using for valves, but when you go for the FH speed record of the universe, perhaps it might be easier and a more significant weight savings to go with titanium valves than it would be with a lifter change.

WZ507, the weight of the KHK lifters. is that with or without the adjusters please?
Also, do you happen to know the weight and possibly have a picture of the 18220-53R drilled retainers for early KR and 53KK?
Malte.

Return to General Whatever-Technical