Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions General Whatever-Technical nut lock on crank pin, pinion ,sprocket shaft

nut lock on crank pin, pinion ,sprocket shaft

Pretty much anything not covered by the topics above. Short lived production bikes or vehicles, Electrical, Tires, Paint, Brakes, etc. Use this for tech questions, and "Shoot the Bull" for general conversation, no tech.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

hi, im a newbie here.
I would like to hear your opinions on those nut lock retainers on flywheels..
I think loctite with proper torque, on clean threads and surface would be sufficient..
but what you think? i have seen a tiny screw and retainer were tumbling in breather bore before,, but flywheels were tight..that made me not want to install those retainers..

Bent Valve, I'm with you. I also have found retainers wadded up in breathers. I have come up with a compromise. I use the retainers on BTSV mainshafts, smaller nuts, less centrifugal force applied to retainers, and just locktite to crankpin nuts. However, these are T&O flywheels with the larger crankpin/nuts.
Your call,

Pa Site Admin

Use the locktite on the lock washer screws.

I've been using blue locknut on the retainer screws for 40 years. I clean the threads in the flywheel first with carb gum cutter, blow dry, apply locknut, assemble and wipe up any excess. No failures yet.

thanks guys,

Return to General Whatever-Technical