Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions General Whatever-Technical Identify This Reamer

Identify This Reamer

Pretty much anything not covered by the topics above. Short lived production bikes or vehicles, Electrical, Tires, Paint, Brakes, etc. Use this for tech questions, and "Shoot the Bull" for general conversation, no tech.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:00 am
Pa Site Admin

Harley Davidson number 12134-42 reamer. Anyone know what model it is used on and for what purpose ? Thanks, Pa

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:26 pm

Pa,
Did you mean 12132-42? 45 Clutch gear reamer?
Robbie

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:32 pm
Pa Site Admin

No Robbie. That was what I intially thought the fellow meant but he says the nos package states 12134-42 as the number. None of my manuals nor reference materials list that number either. I wonder if the tool is for XA ?? The nos packaging is military but the military part number is not legible.

Post Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:25 pm

Pa,
Can't find that number anywhere. I have a July '45 price list that shows the tool numbers and that one does not appear. Also, my XA parts book which lists all the tools doesn't have anything like that. All the Special Tools for XA are five digit numbers starting with 95XXX, all the other tools are standard H-D issue and are listed in other catalogs.
H-D usually did not change the first part of a number for a change in year application but changed the last two digits. And the only 12134-XX is the -36 number showing up in any lists I have. Perhaps for TA but it doesn't make sense since that would use the -36 number as the engine internals are no different. Has the guy opened it to see what it really is? Lots of those numbers are handwritten. could be a mistake!
Robbie

Post Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:43 pm
Pa Site Admin

I agree Robbie. That number just don't seem to exist. No...he hasn't opened it and he won't. I can open it if I buy it but I am not going to shell out funds for something I probably can't or won't ever use. It really puzzles me how he could mix 42 with 36 even if those numbers are faded.

Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:44 pm

Perhaps that is the post 1951 number?

Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:47 pm

While you are searching how about an application for a 11949-12 reamer?

Post Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:05 am
Pa Site Admin

I've always assumed the last two digits of a part number carried over when the new number system came about. I also assumed those two numbers represented when a part or tool was first used or offered as a kit or a part such as the 45 Servi-Car starter ring gear, which has a -69 following the part number. The ring gear alone was not offered in 1964 when it first came into use. I may be in error making such assumptions because it does not explain -X following a part number.

Do you have any dimensions on that reamer Chris ?

Return to General Whatever-Technical