Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions General Whatever-Technical Eliminating oil rings

Eliminating oil rings

Pretty much anything not covered by the topics above. Short lived production bikes or vehicles, Electrical, Tires, Paint, Brakes, etc. Use this for tech questions, and "Shoot the Bull" for general conversation, no tech.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:05 pm

I was strolling in Indian land and noticed Kiwi Indian and some other Indian sites are only using two piston rings eliminating the bottom oil ring in their motors.Anybody try this on a Harley flathead ,I am using Total Seal rings in my motor.Any comments would be appreciated.

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:43 am

You are misunderstanding.

Indian pistons have three compression rings, and an oil ring below that. It is common practice to eliminate the 3rd comp ring to reduce the extra unnecessary friction. The oil rings stay intact.

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:52 am

Fabercycle,Thanks for the clarification about the third ring being eliminated,I thought I had stumbled across some strange secret Indian racing tip it and didn't realize the Indians had three compression rings. :D :D

Return to General Whatever-Technical