FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Alphabet Soup

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

sleeper

Post Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:18 pm

Alphabet Soup

ALPHABET SOUP :?

In this day and age of text messaging people using the phone have to be able to abbreviate and read abbreviations. This is not a new concept. Back in the dark ages when I started riding we had (and still do) some organizations that when you heard them you knew what they were. Like the FBI, DEA, ATF, DOT, CHP, and CIA. Usually when the USPS delivered a letter from one of these you figured it was BS.

But Harley riders have been dealing with lettering systems for many years. Again back when I started riding we could chose from an XLH or XLCH; an FX or FXE; an FL or FLH; a G or GE plus there were the lightweights SS350 and SX350 and a few more. Previous to them H-D had the UL, ULH, EL, WL, WLA, WR, XA, K, KH, KHK, KR, KHKK, etc., etc.

Now some of the lettering designations are almost as long as the models names. It starts out easy enough XL883, XL883S, XL1200, XL1200S and XR1200, they’re all Sportsters. The Dyna’s aren’t to bad either with FXD, FXDWG and FXDL. Trouble starts in the Softail models. You have the FXST, FXSTB, FXSTD, FXSTS, FLST, FLSTF, FLSTC, FLSTN, FXSTS, FXSTSB, FXSTSC, FLSTSB, and FLSTSC. Touring models go by FLHR, FLHS, FLHX, FLHP, FLHT, FLHTC, FLHTCSUI and FLT. The V-Rods get VRSC, VRSCA, VRSCB, VRSCD, VRSCR, VRSCSE, VRSCX and VRXSE.

As you can see you can go crazy just looking at the lettering, plus you can add more letters. When you order CVO bikes they get SE added on. Be sure to specify when you order a FXSTS. It could be a Softail Standard or a Softail Springer. BTW LOL (lots of luck).
<<

Kev UK

Post Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:26 am

Re: Alphabet Soup

Proves why most of us on these boards prefer their Harleys with four letters max.

Perhaps the MoCo could simplify the system; go back to the original 3 letters for the basic model then add a $ sign for every thousand bucks the upgrade costs.

I suspect this might be more understandable to the majority of Twinkie riders! :wink:
72 Ironhead, goes better than it stops!

42(?)WLC

2005 XL1200R.... well ya gotta have a rat-bike!
<<

sleeper

Post Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:49 pm

Kev UK wrote:Proves why most of us on these boards prefer their Harleys with four letters max.

Perhaps the MoCo could simplify the system; go back to the original 3 letters for the basic model then add a $ sign for every thousand bucks the upgrade costs.

I suspect this might be more understandable to the majority of Twinkie riders! :wink:

Agreed, also about the Twin Scam riders
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:42 am

Because someone rides a new machine you call them names? I am sure those VL guys weren't about to step up to one of the new fancy OHV 61" models either. I love my old bikes. I also love touring this country on my FLHTCU.
Last edited by Chris Haynes on Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Cotten

Post Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:00 am

Chris asked: "Because someone rides a new machine you call them names? "

"Dude" usually seems to fit.

....Cotten
I love touring with my D A T S U N.
<<

Kev UK

Post Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:45 am

Chris Haynes wrote:Because someone rides a new machine you call them names? I am sure those VL guys weren't about to step up to one of the new fancy OHV 61" models either. I love mo old bikes. I also love touring this country on my FLHTCU.

Chris, check my sig, I love my 1200 Roadster too; modern rubbermount with a hint of the old XR1000 about it, that's why I sold my FLHS and bought it! :wink:

20 years experience in my own H-D club has taught me that guys who run the older stuff (45's when I started, Shovels now) tend to be more knowledgable and enthusiastic, and don't regard the bike as just a "cool" fashion accessory which is becoming more prevalent now, especially in Europe. I don't think you get this quite as much in the USA because the "Made in America" tag (however loosely nowadays) still counts for a lot.
72 Ironhead, goes better than it stops!

42(?)WLC

2005 XL1200R.... well ya gotta have a rat-bike!

Return to General Whatever-Technical