Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions General Whatever-Technical Mystery Oil Tank

Mystery Oil Tank

Pretty much anything not covered by the topics above. Short lived production bikes or vehicles, Electrical, Tires, Paint, Brakes, etc. Use this for tech questions, and "Shoot the Bull" for general conversation, no tech.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:27 pm

Has anyone seen a tank like this?
It has one pipe on the bottom.

Post Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:12 pm

Electra Glide oil tank

Post Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:13 pm

thefrenchowl wrote:
Electra Glide oil tank

Ithought that from the shape but the Glide,at least the 65-86 had just the pipe on the cap neck and the single connection that points to the groove.
I'm thinking this had the twin connection added for a motor that didn't belong to the frame. :?:

Post Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:35 am

Maybe late 70s early 80s California spec when they added breathers/fume collectors at vomitum???

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:00 am

Just been and had a look at my 77 Glide, it's definitely the right shape but mine has only two pipes on the top, one on each "turret".

Clymer gives no clues and I don't have a factory manual for it; it would seem to have the drop-in cartridge oil filter, wasn't that discontinued on later Shovels?
72 Ironhead, goes better than it stops!

2005 XL1200R.... well ya gotta have a rat-bike!

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:15 am

one of the connections appears to have a Brit-style screw-in end. I would guess that it may have been from a Shovelhead modified to bypass the primary cover. I know someone with a bike like that; the bike has a belt primary behind an open-frame cover, but the oil return still has to go to the tank. That bike also has a vent from the tank to divert a limited oil spray onto the rear chain
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Return to General Whatever-Technical