FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Early S+S GA, GB, GAL question

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

joestuff

Post Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:48 pm

Early S+S GA, GB, GAL question

Hi everybody, first post here after lurking for a while. I figure this is the best place to get an answer to my question.

I have an Early S+S GB carb, that came with a hot rod sportster I'm building. (Not a flathead, I know). I'm trying to find out what air horns, velocity stacks and/or air cleaners will fit it. Does anybody know if GB will interchange with any other S+S carb in this way.

S+S tech support is trying to be helpful, but this was a long time ago. The say the L series and B series take the same air cleaner, but cannot seem to confirm that the L would be the same as the G. Pictures of carbs on ebay are helpful, but not as good as what y'all know.

Thanks
Joe
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:25 pm

Re: Early S+S GA, GB, GAL question

Hi Joe,

I'm here as well!!!

Just checked my old S&S catalogues. A modern S&S air cleaner/back plate will be OK although you'll have to redrill the bowl vent hole in the back plate, yours not positioned the same as more recent S&S stuff.

Air horns/stacks are shown but not listed in these catalogues, 1985!!! Long been obsolete I think, so you'll have to search ebay or such like!!!

All the best from Patrick
<<

VPH-D

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:03 pm

The GBL will take a B air cleaner, but that's about it from S&s. The stock H-D round or oval air cleaner will fit, however. Main jets are the same as B, idle tubes are not. The last of this family was the MGAL, which came out in about '77. I still have an MGL in a box left over from the old days. These are neat old carbs, but the E is clearly superior in performance.
VPH-D
<<

joestuff

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:46 pm

Thank Y'all. That helps alot. Good to hear from you, Patrick.

Return to General Whatever-Technical