Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions General Whatever-Technical Tank Coatings, Factory ????

Tank Coatings, Factory ????

Pretty much anything not covered by the topics above. Short lived production bikes or vehicles, Electrical, Tires, Paint, Brakes, etc. Use this for tech questions, and "Shoot the Bull" for general conversation, no tech.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:04 pm
Pa Site Admin

OK fellas....... We got an oem 34 VL tank that has a blue colored coating in it. Is it factory ? If so, what is it ? Pa

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:33 pm

VL tanks had no blue coating from the factory.

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:29 pm
Pa Site Admin

Chris...can you speculate on what this blue coating may be ? MEK and every other chem seems to have no effect on it. Pa

Post Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:18 am

Probably something done professionally. Aircraft or Renu type.

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:32 am

Yesterday I pulled a set of 3.5s out of storage from a '65 that I bought in '75, long before the riding public became anal about coatings. Supposedly it had been a Kansas City PD machine.

The bottoms of the interiors are slopped with what appears to be the same tar-like material that was used to secure the felts inside of pan covers.

My question is: What was the material that the Factory used to secure the felts?

Thanks in advance,

....Cotten

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:38 am

Cotten wrote:
My question is: What was the material that the Factory used to secure the felts?

Felt adhesive of course. :mrgreen:

Return to General Whatever-Technical