FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

WICO mags - what do I have?

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

suicideshovel65

Post Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:23 pm

WICO mags - what do I have?

Hi everyone, I received 2 Wico mags with a bunch of Harley parts I recently acquired.
I was told that one is a horizontal mag for the early KR/KRM models; the other a NOS upright suitable for similar models:

I have seen the XV1922 mags, however these have different numbers. The horizontal is XH2108; the vertical XVD2253.

I am aware that WICO made tractor mags, etc but can anyone out there help identify these two?

Horizontal mag cap view:

Vertical mag cap view:

Thanks guys!
Last edited by suicideshovel65 on Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

suicideshovel65

Post Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: WICO mags - what do I have?

A couple more pics of the base and insides of the horizontal mag:

These WICO mags spark s-s-s-strongly!
<<

kootenairyder

Post Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:38 pm

they could be racing mags used in WR's i have a wico on my wlc and its awsome to have one
<<

MarkBranst

Post Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:20 pm

Suicide,

I found this web site that may be of use to you ...

http://www.ploughbooksales.com.au/30.htm

This guy is selling all kinds of WICO literature, and lists many model #'s with applications. Including manual brochures for XH and XV model ... no specific mention for XVD, but you oughta check this out. He is selling offprints and/or originals for just a few dollars each. Thoroughly check his list, because there are multiple entries for both models and they are NOT completely in order.

Unfortunately, I did not find anything specific to HD but anybody doing WICO research may want to take a look at the huge amount of data that this guy is sitting on. Sure seems like he would be a good person to politely ask a question or two.

Mark
<<

suicideshovel65

Post Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:36 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. I've had a few people experienced with the early racers confirm their suitability which was good to hear.

That info resource looks intriguing - definitely worth checking out.

Cheers,

Simon
<<

k dogg snr

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:47 am

i have two mags very similar in my shed . the vertical mag is used on my wl racer and the horizontal mag i pulled off an old forklift that had a flat twin motor in it . i figured it would be easy to adapt it to fit using the generator drive position. good score.
<<

panic

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:51 am

Last edited by panic on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

panic

Post Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:56 am

Last edited by panic on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

suicideshovel65

Post Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:10 pm

Hi Panic, that's some good information, thankyou.

The cam does look to have two lobes though, as does the vertical mag. In the pic, the points will open if I turn the rotor to around where the flat at the rotor's top (vertical to the left in the pic) is at the horizontal on top. They close when the flat is almost vertical to the right and then open again when the flat is diagonal to the bottom right. Or roughly thereabouts.

If it's supposed to resemble the vertical mag inside, then the horizontal mag appears to be missing a round black plastic/bakelite part that sits on the cam. This connects through the cap to the single plug output in the coil, then spins around to each wire output.

Return to General Whatever-Technical