FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Chief Hub Repair

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

amklyde

Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:55 pm

Chief Hub Repair

Any one have any repair experience or a quick fix for wallered out lug holes on a mid yrs chief hub. My 39 has some very nice old wheel assemblies with old rubber and I want to avoid having to take the wheel apart. I'm thinking of a lug with a shallower taper, so I could set the whole wheel in the milling machine and recut the tapers to true them up. Maybe some dual taper adapter washers or something. Please throw any tricks or ideas out there, I would appreciate it. Thanks, Kyle
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:31 pm

Amklyde,
I won't recomend this but my little brother made some flat copper washers and tightened them untill they were taper adapters and used them for years.
Dusty
<<

halvor

Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:56 am

A friend had some custom lug bolts (with different taper) made for his bike....worked great for the very worn lug bolt holes in the hub.

I lost all the lug bolts in the middle of a city late at night. Felt something hitting the back of my leg when riding on the highway, but didn't realize what was happening..
Managed to get the bike in safety outside the city.. and was lucky to find a set of original lug bolts the next day. Even if the lug bolt holes was slightly elongated.. some loctite and proper tightening has kept it in place ever since:)
1944 Indian Chief + sidecar
1939/40 Sport scout bobber,
<<

amklyde

Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:39 am

Thanks Guys. The copper washer idea sounds like a good temporary fix until I can get a cutter and some lugs made. I just won't be doing any big burnouts or wheelies for awhile.
<<

amklyde

Post Sun May 06, 2007 7:37 am

I ended up with some grade six bolts and a stack of sae flatwashers to hold the drum tight to the hub. The holes and tapers in the hub were to oblong to hold. I took a pencil grinder to the hub to knock the burrs off around the tapers. The old girl is running strong now, but trouble with the clutch is really tweaking me. When the motor is not running and I disengage, the kicker falls thru with no noticable drag. When running, the mainshaft keeps a spinning and I can't get first without using foot power to move the bike forward at a good roll, spark retarded and throttled down. The clutch works great when I am shifting on the road, up and down, smooth as glass. This one doesn't act like any other Chief I've ridden, where a good firm pop of the lever will get first without any grinding. The primary chain isn't too tight and the clutch shell nut in the trans is tight. I am thinking of fabricating a lever to be activated with my right foot to push some sort of pad onto the kicker clutch gear to stop the mainshaft. (like the spindle brake on my milling machine.) Am I missing something? Is there an easy fix here? As always any advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Kyle
<<

indianut

Post Mon May 07, 2007 9:34 am

Stock or King -Type clutch
<<

amklyde

Post Mon May 07, 2007 12:07 pm

Danny, This poor ol bike sat in a basement for over 35 yrs. I had the lid off the trans to check things out, but have not pulled the outer primary off. For the first few test runs the clutch disengaged nicely with smooth entry to first. I'm thinking the oil I put in mixed with old lube on the plates and got sticky. It just seems odd to me that it shifts so well up and down while moving down the road, no clunky shifts.
<<

injunjack

Post Mon May 07, 2007 11:28 pm

Amklyde

35 yrs in basement. Still the same clutch plates. You're asking trouble without todays "modern" clutchplates.

Get a King Clutch and you're done. I've had one since 2001 and I'm a True Believer :lol:

Jack
Finland

Return to Indians