FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

back to the old carb topic

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

steve_blackbob

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:49 am

Cotten wrote:To make a Linkert flow to it's max for modern highway speeds, it is not rocket science to shave the shafts, knife-edge the choke disc, solder-in the discs to remove the screws, and bore the venturi over 1 1 /8" a bit.
(I'd post a pic if this forum would only support it.)

Just how fast is traffic on your superhighways where you ride?

And it would use the stock manifold, aircleaner, support, throttle linkage, etc., etc.

If you could email me a pic I could post it up

We are blessed around here with many miles of almost empty roads.
My morning ride to work consists of 42 miles of fast and bendy A roads through stunning scenery. If I was riding a modern crotch rocket, the journey can be done in 35 minutes, In my car it takes 45 minutes

On an Indian ??????? might go round the long way 8)

<<

halvor

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:08 am

Cotten wrote:Steve!

An M642 would be pricey.

Some years ago I was really lucky and found a nice M641 on ebay...i think i paid something like $120. The 641 and 642 seems to be pretty expensive these days.
I paid a lot more for the M344 back in 1998

I'm currently running a CV carb on the 84" chief beast.. but that's a different story.. the scout will keep it's linkert..

Steve, how many hours ride is it from Scrabster down to the channel?
I'm planning to go to Iceland via the Smyril Line ferry in july, but I would also like to join the international rally in France. But I would arrive in Scrabster(I hope this is what the town is called) on tuesday/ wednesday evening..and then rush down to the international rally in france..
Not sure if this is doable.. and certainly not sure if the old chief will survive the icelandic gravel roads..
1944 Indian Chief + sidecar
1939/40 Sport scout bobber,
<<

steve_blackbob

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:11 am

hi halvor,

Scrabster (right town :D ) to Inverness is about 2hrs ride, Inverness to London about 11 hrs, London to coast, depends on the traffic!!!! say 1- 2 hrs

14hrs :shock: I'd split the journey over 2 days
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:48 am

Here is Cottens' pics.

<<

Cotten

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:42 am

Thanks, Pa!
Left is a standard Chief; right is bored, shaved'n'soldered, with a knife-edged chokeplate.

Note that the light from behind on the opened-up one prevented the flash from going off. The distance from the camera was the same, and you can see the aircleaner flange bores are comparable.

The slashed nozzle was the way the customer already had it, indexed with a setscrew.

Anybody with a little patience can do it.

....Cotten
PS: There's a bare M88 on ebay for $35 at this moment. The biggest risk with ebay is that you can never judge the borewear, but that's fixable too.
I wonder what you do with an Amal once the slide has galled?
<<

ironwigwam

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:20 pm

wonder what you do with an Amal once the slide has galled?
  Code:

I guess you have to hone, chrome and grind the slide and body? Sure seems like it needs the keep it simple touch and just stick with a Linkert or Schebler.
   Cotten its absolutely anazing all the tricks there are for Linkerts that are not found in common literature?
    Rocky
   1957S/VG
<<

steve_blackbob

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:56 pm

Cotten wrote:....Cotten
PS: There's a bare M88 on ebay for $35 at this moment. The biggest risk with ebay is that you can never judge the borewear, but that's fixable too.
I wonder what you do with an Amal once the slide has galled?

thats impressive, i've seen the same job done on SU's fitted to racing MG's (another interest :lol: )

as for worn amals - nowadays they end up on ebay, funnily enough :shock:

i tend to buy new ones and clean the castings up and fit brass slides - the quality control on the new ones is not that great
<<

Limey_Dave

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:05 pm

Cotton

Nothing "bad" about M88's in their place and doing mods for performance while keeping standard look.As it wouldn't be original on this engine why bother?
I said to avoid M88 because when one first looks at Linkerts it seems like a cheap way into a 1&1/4 body.Then you find it's internal vented and there's nowhere to go.Steve is already at 57" and it seems hungry for more so 1&1/16 venturi would seem min size needed and if it feels like it wants more he can,with a 41 or 51 etc,just put a 1&1/8 in and try that.

Ref worn Amals,as above bore out and oversize slides on Standards (276 etc) and Monoblocs.Mk 1 concentrics seem the worst,they're worn from new if you pull them out the box too quick :lol:

Steve

One thing to keep in mind,Linkerts work on push/pull so no return spring which will be something else to sort out if you use Amal type twistgrip.

.......Dave
<<

Cotten

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:33 pm

Dave!

The carbs in my photo are both internally-vented Indian models.

The limit to boring a venturi is the annular chamber around its O.D., and it is the same for both internally-vented and side-vented models.

Although Indian Scheblers had variances, all Indian Linkerts were internally vented (with the unique exceptions of M841L&R).
Conversely, nearly all HD 1 1/4" Linkerts were sidevented, except for the M88 (and whatever Palmer cites).

The bottom line is that an antique motorcycle doesn't need to graft on a space-age carb to get with the program.

....Cotten
PS: Both M841L and M17L Linkerts had return springs!

At least I think it was the leftys......
<<

ironwigwam

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:17 am

Cotten,
There has been an Linkert 841L, chromed and sitting on my shelf for years, I thought I remembered ny dad using it on some flat track engine for DuPont, #48? back when I was young, but I can't seem to recall why he thought it sprecial. Can you shed some light on why it might be?
Rocky
1957S/VG
<<

Cotten

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:25 am

Rocky!

The carbs for the 'experimental' 841 and HD's XA not only came in pairs (a left and a right) and had return springs, but they also had screwlocks to hold the venturi, and 'siamese' throttle and choke linkages (meaning they were linked together, using special shafts).

The 841s on my bench also have plugged HS needles (like the M88), limiters on the LS needle knobs, and 1/4-20 threads on the top manifold hole.
There was also a phenolic seal between the nozzle and the venturi.
I suspect the XA carbs were similar.

Other than that, they are just another 1" Linkert.

....Cotten
Last edited by Cotten on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

steve_blackbob

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:20 am

I have picked up a M21 Linkert for $110, hopefully I can adapt it to tthe right spec.

Still waiting for the postie!!! :roll:
<<

Limey_Dave

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:48 am

Steve

I looked at that,glad I didn't bid against you.I'd like to know about it when you get it.
The learning curve just got steeper,wow I love this stuff.
Seller stated WW II but I take that to be 1942 onwards when parkerizing replaced cad and white paint replaced aluminum on tappet guides etc.How much aluminum was in that paint anyway?I suspect it was propagander like our scrap drives for saucepans.Never mind the 109's the scary stuff is coming out of a dive in a plane made of paint and melted down pans.
All the war stuff from the US that I have seen has been made to the same quality as other parts just finished other ways.He says not bronze/gunmetal but I've never seen a Linkert made of pot/monkey metal,only early Schebler's.
Four line body makes it pre 1940,two hole air cleaner mid 1930's.
So what is it? :?
<<

steve_blackbob

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:40 pm

dunno yet, but as soon as I get it I'll post up some detailed pics and we'll see wots wot :lol:
<<

steve_blackbob

Post Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:18 am

here we go

<<

steve_blackbob

Post Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:24 am

and t'other side

<<

steve_blackbob

Post Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:29 am

its a 1.25" M21 or so I have been told, what do I need to do to it to make it suitable for my 57" stroker scout ?

any useful suggestions

:?
<<

Cotten

Post Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:32 am

I'd start with a 1 1/8" venturi and a Bonne nozzle.

And perhaps one of those funny titted idle bleed plugs that Indians used.

....Cotten
<<

Limey_Dave

Post Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:05 pm

Steve

I like it.There should be M21 stamped on a boss somewhere but the body # is correct for M21 1933 TO 39.
I won't get drawn into Indian nozzles but just on engine size 1& 1/8" venturi and standard 4 hole nozzle should be ok to start.They run well on 45" and 74".

That float looks ready to sink without trace,a new foam one would be good.Everyone speaks well of Cotton's floats or 45 Parts Depot do one that resists unleaded.
US fuel eats rubber,UK (with benzine) eats red blood cells.Pick your poison.Good brass floats are rare,they're either thick brass so bigger to retain bouyancy(and rob you of fuel reserve in bowl)or thin brass and disolve.You will see some stated as "English brass" but that's just the compositin of the metal,not that they're made by old English craftsmen.More like young Tiwan craftsmen. :shock:
Check flanges are flat and check for wear on throttle spindle/body/disc.New spindle and bushes for body are available,I'd go for a NOS disc if you need one.As you're into SU's you'll have no probs sorting that.
The float bowl washer is like a crush ring so don't fully tighten till last thing.
A source of Linkert parts in UK is Steve at VL Heaven,the M21 was fitted to VL 74".
<<

steve_blackbob

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:57 am

Thanks for the info Dave, i'll be stripping the carb down this week and get my list together.
Just got to tidy some space on the workbench :lol:
PreviousNext

Return to Indians