FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

1939 Indian Jr. Scout

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

t-bone williams

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:29 am

1939 Indian Jr. Scout

Howdy all,

Man, I can't believe I didn't know about this site before now! Holy cow! This place is killer! I have a '52 K-model, a '58 KR Franken-racer a '39 Indian Jr. Scout and a '49 F-1 Ford Pickup, so I hope I qualify for being a flathead freak.

Anyway, I literally just got the Indian, and I've never had an Indian before and I've been researching the heck out of them. This one is a 1939 Junior Scout 30.50. I've read through this site and understand that they are confused with 741's, etc. This one is without a doubt a 1939 Jr. Scout. The frame, engine and tranny, are all complete. As is the primary, secondary and rear wheel. I'm going to be restoring it as a flattrack/boardtrack type bobber and am needing a front end for it. I'm sure they are hard to come by, but I gotta start somewhere. I really want to run a girder, and if I can't find or afford the correct front end, then I'll probably just modify an aftermarket girder or British bike girder to work.

If you've seen the Thunder Racing '38 Junior Scout, then you know exactly what I'm trying to build here.

http://www.metcalfemotorcycles.com/racer/unveiling.php

I know they are underpowered, but my K and KR have plenty of power. I just want this one to run and look good for the occasional car/bike show or blast around town. I may bore and or stroke it down the line if I end up riding it more than I anticipate right now, but for now I'm just looking to restore it stock minus some of the unnecessary parts.

Also, do you know if the correct front end for this model was used on other models as well? Thanks for any input, suggestions, responses, etc. What a cool forum!

T
I'll hot rod anything!
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:26 pm

Junior Scout fork was only Junior and changed almost every year. But lots of Sport Scout racers ended up with Junior Scout forks so I suppose you could go the other way if one doesn't turn up. You see them on Ebay every now and then. There is a print of a 40-42 fork at http://virtualindian.org/1techblueprint.htm this was the most ridgid of the Scout forks and the widest. Narrowed up it would look pretty good on yours.
Jake on the VI list has a Junior Scout with 45 clinders & crank he says it runs good.
Dusty
<<

t-bone williams

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:35 am

Dusty,

Thanks a bunch for the information. I'll check out the V.I. site, and look more into the 45 cylinders and crank idea. I imagine that requires some clearancing of the cylinders? It seems like it's pretty tight with just the Jr. cylinders now.

T
I'll hot rod anything!
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:50 pm

T,
Yes you have to grind the shit out of the fins. Sometimes you can find a set that are already ground a little cheaper than un-touched pristine cylinders and heads.
Dusty
<<

halvor

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:56 pm

Btw.. did the Motoplane have special cylinders, or did they use the 45" 101 cylinders?
1944 Indian Chief + sidecar
1939/40 Sport scout bobber,

Return to Indians