FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Indian generators

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

flattyflyer

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:58 pm

Indian generators

I am building a bobber 741. I would like to run a 12 volt generator on it. Can you use a 12 volt HD generator? Does it spin in the correct direction? Does a generator care what direction it spins to generate? Or should i go with the VW generator? Anybody got a part number or something I can order from? And no, i don't want to run an alternator, unless it was cheap and could fit inside a Foster Lager beer can. Thoughts, suggestions welcomed. Thanks!!
<<

halvor

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:04 am

I believe the Cycle electric generator is available for sport scouts/741 also. Ask the indian parts dealers.
You could use a VW generator. Or a 12 volt bosch generator from the '60s like we use here.
The rotation needs to be changed (at least on the 12v), switch the connections on the field.

The 12volt bosch needs the generator housing turned down on a lathe, since it has a slightly larger diameter than the indian generator clamp.
A ready to install indian bosch 12volt generator with electronic regulator is available from Sweden, this looks just like an autolite. I have one of those on my chief. I run a toothed belt(with a different ratio) on mine, makes it start charging much earlier.

There are some tiny Japanese alternators on the market.
I wonder if a such could be hidden inside a tube with an autolite endcover.
1944 Indian Chief + sidecar
1939/40 Sport scout bobber,
<<

flattyflyer

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:41 pm

Thanks Halvor. The size doesn't matter much as long as its close as I have to make the generator holder anyway. Was thinking of cutting a slice off of a starter case for the (clamp) ring. Haven't measured one yet tho. The Bosch sound good, might try it, but I think I have a 12 HD genny around here some place.
<<

flattyflyer

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:44 pm

It been a long time since I messed with SS and chief generators and Magnetos and stuff. What direction does a sport scout generator turn? Is this the same directions as a chief? Any idea what direction a VW genny turns? Thanks
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:28 pm

Flattyflyer,
Sport scout turns CCW
Chief turns CW
I run a small Denso alternator on my 741.
Dusty

Return to Indians