FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Cam Followers and Rollers, Rod Races

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Boogiemanz1

Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:39 am

Kyle, get them to pop for the KIWI "H-beam" rods. They seem to be about 50 times as heavy duty. Be advised to order races also as they come as just rods. Unless you are going to do all this modifying for free, they may be cheaper......good luck......jb
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:04 am

Kyle:
I spray weld them using the powder for steel cranks. One of the harder alloys would probably work but I worry about the face peeling off and I know this alloy won't. Any shop that has a valve grinder from the 40s or 50s should have the setup to reface this arc. Anyway my Souix had had it when I bought it, even had the setup to measure and grind flathead valves to length.
Dusty
<<

Boogiemanz1

Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:04 am

Hey I need one of those pumps for a `47 Chief........the races pressed the same a HD. I used my rod race tool, worked like a charm...listen to Cotten and size the cylinders with torque/stress plates. I know they are tight! but ask them if they want to do it again next year! How out-of-round are the big ends of the rods? Kiwi rods are day/night improvement, you have to rebalance for sure.. Kiwi also has T&O/KIWI flywheels, make it a war chief! Anders makes some BADDASS cylinders!........jb
<<

Cotten

Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:26 pm

Sources:
I recieved a set of Carillo rods (direct from Carillo); Comparing them to original is like comparing Swedish steel to a flint knife. The Eastern (of South Carolina)races pressed in square and firm.

They shall be installed in a set of T&O wheels that I also received from Eastern, along with their fine shafts, crankpin, and nearly every other necessary piece of replacement hardware.
In fact, the only 'original' items in this lower end will be the roller cages, which are NOS from Rocky's. The modern cages I received from a certain distributor were expensive Krap! Only standard rollers would fit without a bind.

And I believe Torrington has been the only producer of rollers until quite recently.

For the rest of the incidentals, I usually can rely upon Jerry Greer Engineering (now of South Dakota ) for un-compromised quality.

Now methods:
Loctites for securing the rod races should not only be un-necessary, they might even insulate against vital heat transfer. On original rods, I would expect a minimum of .0035" interference. I normally only hone for an oversize when the bores have been damaged by improper installation of the previous set (which is all too often!)
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:25 pm

Kyle:
Yes grind until it doesn.t look work hardened.
Dusty
<<

flattyflyer

Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:34 pm

There is a torrington bearing (not the loose rollers) that you can use but I can't remember the number and it is very hard to get. You put a sleeve over the shaft and then the torrinton goes on . you must anneal and then machine the case races for this install. Also can use in the rods for a total of 5 bearings. 2 on the sprocket shaft, 2 on the rods (face back to back and split in the middle of the male rod) and 1 on the pinion shaft. It looks like this set up might also work in a HD 45. I think I might try it on a stroker set up. I'll try to get the Indian set up numbers but it may take a few days.
<<

flattyflyer

Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:39 pm

Also it has been done to a local chief, so far no ill effects ( much skeptisism on the rod install but no problems) It is a process I learned about from a guy who rebuilt alot of Indian motors for Sammy Pierce years ago. It was done to all his (the mechanics) personal motors. I'm still trying to get a 4 cam set up for a chief from him. Saw how it was done ( the 4 cam) and is way different from how I envisioned it done.
<<

Boogiemanz1

Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:14 pm

I'd like to see that!.......jb

Return to Indians