FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Electronic Chief

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Boogiemanz1

Post Sat Dec 28, 2002 6:14 pm

There might just be room for a set of torrington style, or torrington on the bottom and ball on the top, being driven off the oil pump, there should be some way to oil them, if nothing else an oil cup on the side, nah...gotta find some that can be packed or come sealed or I can install a zerk to grease....the Autolite has a wild screw in greaser on the top I'll have to see if the bottom is oiled by the pump, details, details .....thanks for the suggestion Panic.......jb
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 12:58 am

Keep us posted. I usually just use a CDI with the origional dist and points, but if this works as slick as it sounds I have two personal bikes it might be neat on.
Dusty
<<

Boogiemanz1

Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 5:39 am

Well, I rebuilt an engine for a customer, he has emphasema, and rarely gets to ride. He bought a 46 chief new, rode it to college in Oklahoma, and to another in Chicago. This bike/ Bike and hack, was his only transportation for a few years until he got married, then it was sold to get a car. (I know, I would have kept the Chief too).
now, fourty some-odd years later, after starting with a basket case and getting reamed by everyone associated with it, he has a running chief, but he can't start it if it gets flooded, or fouls a plug, or runs out of gas, and just barely when everything is right....mainly because he can't exert himself.

Now last time he rode it, he was concentrating on getting the idle just right to get it into gear without killing it, and taking off messing with the timing/throttle etc. instead of paying attention to what he was doing, he left the kick stand down and damn near busted his ass.

I know lots of folks say he don't need it and he should get something else.......but this guy went through hell to get this thing and I have to try and fix it where he can get some enjoyment from it in his waning years. I can start it anytime, no problem, it's just a matter of making it easier for him. I would really like to see it with 12v, electronic ignition, CV carb, a better trans, and a new clutch, maybe a king, or a diaphram of some sort.........of course anything I fix for this one will work on the 47 of mine sitting next to it...he he he...jb
<<

panic

Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 5:50 am

I think the electronic will help, not only because of spark strength and the fact that is will fire leaner mixture (less choke = less chance of fouling), but because the Crane (at least) has 2 low speed settings. The spark for kicking speed is about 5 degrees, because the motor speed during kicking is what, 50 rpm? But the instant the engine starts it picks up to 10-15 for much better idle quality. The real purpose was not to grenade the starter motor, but I think it helps kick starting as well. Hope I'm right, counting on it to help start my "warm" UL motor.

------------------
Want to put a British 4-speed pre-unit transmission in your H-D 45 solo? Click here.
<<

Boogiemanz1

Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 8:16 pm

Yes, losing one thing to mess with will help in traffic. The VOES that HD uses is adjustable by removing the potting in the top and turning the screw under it. You can adjust it using a vacuum pump with a guage. You must cover the top with a finger while performing this test, and reseal it with silicone when finished, as this will leak if you don't. It uses a vacuum line fron the manifold or behind the throttle blades on a carb as a source, and electrically switches the retard built in to the unit, under low vacuum conditions....no ping on today's fuel....jb
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:25 pm

Boogiemanz1:
Some time in the late sixtys or early seventys I saw a Chief in Purcell Oklahoma that the very old man had fitted with a Ford starter motor where the battery went driving a industrial one way clutch that drove a chain that drove a sprocket where the origional kickstart gear went. He had a fairly large battery hanging on the other side. It sure wasn't pretty but he pushed a button and it turned over faster than it idled. Never saw it or him again. It was uglier than a mud fence but seemed to work well to keep him riding. Maybe with modern starter and battery techonolgy the same idea could be made small enough to not force the battery out of place and leave the origional kicker intact.
Dusty
<<

Boogiemanz1

Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:48 pm

I think I know how, and I think I know why he used a Ford starter. Hmmmm, what a bad time to be remodeling a house, I could be making chips fly on this deal...I'm sitting here making little circles in the air with my fingers trying to figure rotation. The main problem is the starter clutch, which is probably what he did with the directional bearing, probably scratch the reast of the hair off my head........jb
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:11 am

JB:
Check out the last few days of the VI chat group (join at www.groups.yahoo.com then look through the last day or two) John welsh posted this pic of a VW dist with the HI4 in a chief. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/VirtualIndian/files/John's%20Misc./DSC00002.JPG
Dam thers always someone ahead of me. Looks alittle easier than starting from scratch. From what he said you may have to swap the pickups to run single fire. Apparently the code reconises which order the pickups are triped in single fire mode.
Dusty

[This message has been edited by Dusty-Dave (edited 02 January 2003).]
<<

Boogiemanz1

Post Thu Jan 02, 2003 7:01 am

Dave, I was on the VI mailing list at one time, and there was so much crap to sift thru that I asked MOEN to take me off. Have they changed the format? I liked it but every message had the preceeding 12 messages as part of it, took forever.

I looked at your link to the VW distibutor, and wondered if that was an auto advance, or did they lock it down.

I was sure hoping you guys were right about the reverse rotation, I looked at it and believe I could build a mirror image cup and pickup. I was on the lathe today building some disc brake spacers for a friend, who just happened to bring the right size aluminum for the distributor I want to build. I'm going to do the initial test on the one I build with a stock HD. I'll let you know how this goes. I came across an original distributor to use as a pattern. Are the auto-lite distributors used for most Indians? I don't have a book handy, what years and models share the auto-lite?

Let me know about the list....jb
<<

Cotten

Post Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:31 pm

The VI List is still a flood, and digest mode helps little, since no one changes their header.

There was a holiday mini-issue published of the webmag, however, and there is a curious piece about a home-made electronic unit: http://www.virtualindian.org/xmas02index.html

What's a Velleman 2543? There's a link in the article.
Previous

Return to Indians