FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Linkerts Amals

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

dennis

Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:51 pm

Linkerts Amals

Hi
Reading posts on carbs they mentioned gas milage. Boath Linker & Amal carb I have run on pre55s would get 50 to 70 miles to the gallon. I didn't think this was uncommon back then (30s thru 40s).What are other people getting for gas milage on the older
bikes,early 50s back?
Thanks Dennis
<<

injunjack

Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:47 am

Dennis
I got around 68 mpg last summer on open road with my Big Chief, and it has Dell'Orto on it. In commuting traffic it was aproxx. 47 mpg.
I believe that it's possible to achieve somewhat similar mileage with properly restored and tuned Linkert/Schebler. Cotten should be able to answer this better.

Jack
<<

Cotten

Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:17 pm

Wow, Michael Breeding is proud to be getting just over 40mpg.

And that's with all of the advantages I could give him. So it must have been worse before.

Gas mileage can be confused by many things, not the least of which are inaccurate odometers! And we are also trying to compare apples to oranges with different "gallons" and fuel formulations around the world.

Ethanol'd fuels will certainly not give the mileage of straight petrol, and U.S. quikie-mart P4gas may be the cheapest, but definitely not 'quality'.

And windshields, saddlebags, and payload all take a toll on consumption. And not all of us live in the flatlands either. Nor have a bike as light as Manitou!

I'd be delighted with anything over a solid 35mpg on my 650 lb. rat panhead, without filling my tires 'til they were hard as rocks, like the old tire compounds used to be. Yet it was advertised when new to get much more.
I have yet to get my Chief off of the bench, and my testrides for customers are nothing to get a guestimate from.
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 4:50 am

Cotten:
You have to remenber that Micheal lives in the mountains of northern New Mexico always going up or down or around. From his house to mine the altitude goes from 6250 ft to 5000 then back up to 7600. And if you arn't riding 20 or 30 mph over the speed limit someone will run into your ass. Nothing gets great mileage up here.Hat field's 101 used a full tank in about 5 hours of riding above my house on the real mountrain roads.
Dusty
<<

dennis

Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:17 pm

All thing considered, gas miles per gallon can differ a lot. My example of milage was on flat country in Montana & South Dakota.The traffic was little & moving fast.
The bikes are old brits & EL harly.Have made the trip many times & the best gas milage I have gotten was on a 1955 Indian Enfield.Single carb Amal,Speeds up to 115, approx 75 per. The HD with Linkert approx 70 per. The HD is bare w/pocko frame & little extra. These factors helped in getting that kind of milage.
Thanks Dennis
Friends tell me they get 20 mpg with there late modles?
<<

injunjack

Post Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:25 am

Cotten et all

S--t!! I hate these conversions. I made an error. It should have been around 47 mpg's and around 22-23 in commuting traffic.
(it was around 5,5 litres/100 km)
I hope I calculated it correctly now.
I should have thought what I wrote last time.

(Actually now that i started to think, around 70 mpg is a bit on a lean side to me.)

Speed was sustained 63-68 mph, in quite flat area.

Jack
<<

dennis

Post Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:08 pm

Hey thanks all for the reply's. The info supports a variety of rides & conditions.

Return to Indians