FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

indian cases

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

dennis

Post Sat Oct 05, 2002 3:16 pm

indian cases

When line bore on cases are to be renewed the blind,timming side, hole for main shafts is a bear to set up? Anyone want to add some insight to the setup for line boring and honing 48 chief casees? To use a lathe a fixture has to be made to hold cases, use a mill and cases are mounted on the table from one side. Resulting in long tool extension.

Dennis

------------------
<<

Boogiemanz1

Post Sun Oct 06, 2002 12:26 am

The last one I did was a `47, I set up my case race lapping tool and lightly applied 500 grit lap compound to the lap/ I had replaced the race with a new one from KIWI. The race was the correct size and miked round to begin with, with the cases torqued and some 7/16 thick mill plate ( with holes in them to go over cyl spigot), bolted to the cases to simulate cylinders...I had the lap adjusted to a light drag, turning it with my fingers. After a couple of minutes turning it and moving it across the race, I removed it and cleaned the race and it had a very even patina...I called it good....then the same for the sprocket side...jb

I think I will convert my `47 cases to run the 48 up pinion races, and eliminate the blind hole..

[This message has been edited by Boogiemanz1 (edited 06 October 2002).]
<<

Cotten

Post Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:19 am

Dennis!
Let's get our terms right first.

Line-Boring is when you cut the cases for oversize races, usually to correct for welding distortions or a spunout race.

Line-honing is the process of re-fitting the races for rollers. A lapp is a field tool for this opperation.

Which step are you addressing?
<<

dennis

Post Sun Oct 06, 2002 4:57 am

Thanks for the reply
The case races are worn and have rust pits on the bottom side of race. Thought about a ceramic cutter to clean up pitting and then hone. The races are approx .002 over(worn).
Dennis
<<

Cotten

Post Sun Oct 06, 2002 12:53 pm

Your limitation is the the largest rollers available.
I know of none larger than .001" oversize.
<<

dennis

Post Sun Oct 06, 2002 4:33 pm

Thanks again for the reply.
Ok how about replacing the main shaft races,
would the blind hole race be removed by welding to it and pulling it out? The opposite side looks to be pressed in and locked with threaded retaner.
Weatherd wood be a good discription of my parts(rust).Missmatched could be used to.
To match the cases,and replace races, will the cases then need the races line bored and honed. How do I assure proper alinement?
One case is used the other is NOS. this case is weathered but I dont think ever run.The number boss is new but no numbers,only a B for battery on case it self. Some parts are 48 this case is earlier?
(blind hole on oil pumpside). I'm working with 2 motors, trying to put one up now, maybe the other later. I only have one Indian frame and trans at the moment.
Dennis

------------------
<<

Boogiemanz1

Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 12:09 am

.003 sounds like a lot, .0003 is closer, but usually the cases don't have to be bored, the races can be changed several times if done properly, without line boring.
<<

Cotten

Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 2:19 am

After thoroughly prepping your cases, I would set them up on a ground 1" shaft with close-to-fit rollers/cages. This will qickly allow you to inspect the alignment of the existing bores and the case bolts holes,.. when you go to tighten them up.

If the misalignment is minor, then merely replacing the races and line-honing should do. (Early pinion races with late snapring grooves are now available.)

But when there is need for a correction, usually from welding distortions, then line-boring of at least one main is in order. Oversizes of .003";.005"; and .010" are now available from US suppliers, I believe.
<<

dennis

Post Fri Oct 25, 2002 3:31 pm

Thanks for all the replys,Every little bit helps. Dennis

Return to Indians