FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Scout Bobbers

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

james

Post Sun Nov 25, 2001 4:53 pm

Scout Bobbers

Guys; I'm thinking of building a scout bobber for the street. I would like to use some race-type tricks. A 57CI motor with WR frywheels, and depending on cost, using chromoly for the frame with cast neck etc. Also, is there any books with racer tricks I could use on the street? Thanks, James
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Sun Nov 25, 2001 5:57 pm

James:
I don't know of any book that is exclusively about performance. But there are bits here and there. Try the back issues of www.virtualindian.org there are severall articals on performance. Jerry's new Scout book has some info on the old factory racers.
WR wheels get 52 cid. 74 Chief wheels get 57 cid. 80 Chief wheels get 61 cid.and very short engine life. The WR wheels with WR rods are a very good choice for a sporty solo bike they change rpm. easily and feel right. The 74 Chief wheels with after market rods are the best choice foe 2 up or a side car. More luging power, they feel like a light Chief.
By all means use pistons that pop up about the same amount that the Bonney pistons did. This opens the "corner" into the cylinder nicely.
Check out my latest project
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VirtualIndian/files/mule1.jpg http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VirtualIndian/files/mule2.jpg
I don't know of anyone that is reproing the Sport Scout frame castings so you will have to re tube origional frame or build a completely welded up frame. Check out the back issues of the Virtual Indian in the blueprint section the 640 rear section is drawn and the center section will be up early next year.There is also a doit your self frame by Frank that could be used for either the Scout or Chief engine. If you decide to do somthing with light frames let me know. Alot of the old racers tilted the engine forward (bottom front of crank case in same spot trans raised)to increase cornering clearance.

Dusty Dave
<<

james

Post Sun Nov 25, 2001 6:11 pm

A picture is indeed worth a thousand words!Gosh Almighty! Bonneville Look-out!Beautiful! Thanks for the info! James
<<

panic

Post Tue Nov 27, 2001 12:58 am

Math a bit off: 2-7/8" (Scout) X 3-13/16" (H-D 45) = 49.5"; X 4-7/16" (Chief) = 57.6"; X 4-13/16" (Chief 80) = 62.5". Bigger nipples, bigger manifold & 4 bolt Linkert.
More: http://virtualindian.org/racerscouts1.htm

------------------
Click here to see my Pages-O-Tech-Stuff

[This message has been edited by panic (edited 27 November 2001).]
<<

Cotten

Post Tue Nov 27, 2001 2:31 am

Just in case Panic's post confused you, what he is saying is that WL (or even sportster wheels, which are the same stroke) will only give you about 50 inches .

A 57-incher would use Chief wheels.

The VirtualIndian link will clue you in to how a bunch of non-purists (Oh, my...!) are conspiring to make these Scout strokers accessable to everyone.

(It's my mission to make it cheap!)
<<

james

Post Tue Nov 27, 2001 6:05 am

Thanks Guys! I am new to these ancient beasts, but am trying to put together a bobber style Scout. Can 741 cases be used to build a 57ci stroker? Would it stand daily driving? Thanks,James
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Thu Nov 29, 2001 5:56 am

James:
The early 741 are identical to Scout. The later ones have smaller bores where the cylinder base goes in and the timing hole is at the top. Just bore the cylinder relief in the cases out to accept the 45 cyls they will work great.
Dusty

Return to Indians