FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Early Scouts

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Flatso

Post Mon Oct 30, 2000 4:04 am

Early Scouts

Anybody into the pre-101 era Scouts?I`ve been gathering stuff for a couple years now and I`m soon getting to the age when I`ll get a little more spare time,figure to build a bobber type first and then the other sort of correct,yup,two bikes.I think I can use HD 45 pistons in them,the pin to crown height is a bit shallower w/ the HDs,and I wonder how it will effect compression? Also both frames have been crunched head on,not much,though,maybe not a concern for the bobjob,but the stock fender hits.Anybody got a chainguard,any shape[no repro parts,I dont want to mix `em in],sure like to hear to hear from anyone else into these old ones.
Thanks...
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Mon Oct 30, 2000 5:35 am

Flatso:
Oldest Scout I have is a 1936. I don't think there's any reason for the harley pistons. Most builders use 741 pistons but leave off the oil ring and some leave off one compresion ring also.Unless you want to turn it into a 37" then you can either get pistons from Kiwi or use Mahle car pistons (I can get the pn. if you want) but you have to make wrist pin bushes.
Dusty
<<

Flatso

Post Tue Oct 31, 2000 1:04 am

Thanks,Dave, but these are 37 inchers [2.75 bore],the HD45 pistons[same bore,more or less] are maybe 1/8 shorter,the stroke would be the same but I am confused as to what would happen to the compression ratio,as the headroom[chamber volume TDC] would increase,but theBDC would also be lower...duh..and if it did lower the CR would this matter a whole lot? Has anyone ridden one and cracked the throttle?They were supposed to be hot stuff in 1920,I would imagine they`d be a little torquey,with reasonable lowend and decent gearing...
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Tue Oct 31, 2000 5:21 am

Flatso:
Ok i'm on the right frequency now. Back when you couldn't get Indian repros they used to weld up the harley piston head. I would think that the piston from Kiwi or Stark would be easier. Or the Mahle wich are a lot cheaper but they require custom wrist pin bushes.
The compression ratio is the compairison of the volume in the cylinder above the piston and combustion chamber with the piston at bottom dead center to the volume above the piston and the combustion chamber with the piston at top dead center. So the more distance from the top of the piston to the top of the cylinder the lower the compresion. the later Bonney engines used a piston that stuck out the top of the cylinder wich caused the squelch area over the piston to be raised wich resulted in a larger cross section where the squish area restricts air flow into the cylinder. Although the compresion was only increased a few tenths the horse power increase was substantual.
Dusty

Return to Indians