FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

indian 741 valve adjustment

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

jn1972

Post Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:36 am

indian 741 valve adjustment

i have to adjust valves on my newely purchased 741,have the book but it is a little confusing do i have to bring the front cylinder,then the rear cylinder to top dead center before i set each set of valves? thanks jerry
<<

Cotten

Post Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:17 am

Re: indian 741 valve adjustment

Jerry!

The idea is to adjust each valve when its pushrod is at the lowest point, which should be the "heel" of the cam, rather than on a "ramp".

You should be able to observe the pushrod adjustor rise and fall as you turn the motor through. (It helps to remove the sparkplugs, and putting finger pressure upon it assures that it is not sticking, nor beginning to rise again.)

Each adjustment should be checked by turning the motor through to find the lowest point of travel again, and then again inspecting with the feeler gauge for certainty.

Let us know how it goes,

....Cotten
<<

jn1972

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:03 am

i took my time and adjusted all the valves yesterday,the exhaust valves were loose at .016 and the intakes were tight with no gap spum motor and rechecked. i have corrected leaks on intake,checked timing,sparkplug gap,adjusted valves . motor starts and idels fine,when you rev it up it blows fine mist of fuel back out of carb thanks for all your help so far,any ideas where i should look next thanks jerry
<<

Cotten

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:36 pm

Jerry!

One possible cause for misting out of the carburetor would be if the fluid level within the bowl was much too high.

(The float bowl is considered to be a third "circuit", along with the lowspeed and highspeed needles.)

This would occur if the float was too heavy, either by soaking up fuel ("logging"), or being made of an inappropriate material such as brass or certain modern nitrophyl replacements. The float may also have swollen due to digestive modern fuels, and be hanging up upon the bowlstem or side of the bowl.

Note also, that even with a top-quality float, the bowl should be rotated so that valve is as close to the choke mechanism as possible. (L&L's blueprint for the M741 shows 15/64" from the bowl to the aircleaner flange, in addition to the offset shown in most manuals.)

Let us know what you find,

....Cotten
PS: It is prudent to never start a machine without the aircleaner, as it is a "spark arrestor", and a fire can easily occur.
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:14 pm

Turn the engine in the direction of rotation until the intake valve opens and then continue until it closes and then continue a half a turn. It's ready to adjust both valves on that cylinder this will work on any four stroke. Rotate the pushrods to check for being bent or oddly worn adjuster.
Dusty

Return to Indians