FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

generator 48 Chief

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

servitrike

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:23 am

generator 48 Chief

:arrow: ok,
we all know these old bikes idle so slow that at idle the Generator doesn't do anything. i wonder if anybody has ever had any success in changing that situation by altering the size of the pulleys to get the genny spinning faster at idle.
my chief doesn't have much room for a bigger pulley at the drive end, and i'm not sure how small a pulley can be had for the generator, OR how small a pulley the belt can work with :?: .

has anybody ever looked into this?
D~~~!
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: generator 48 Chief

I have and it helps a little but spinning the armature faster gets you closer to thrown solder and commentator bars. Unless you show it, get a alternator. If you show and ride get Indian Frank to build you a generator. Suzuki Samurai alternator for a Chief and toyota forklift alternator for Scouts.
Dusty
<<

servitrike

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:20 pm

have u had that happen to a Genny? how much did u speed up the spin. i wasn't hoping for much of a change. i have a Cycle Electric 12V unit on there now and it works great AND looks good. not stock, but good. it jumps to over 13V almost as soon as it's off idle, so i was thinking a very small change in speed mite be all i need.

no, i don't show my bike, i like to ride it. i have seen Samurai conversions. if this genny fails i mite do that, but not yet.

what size pulleys did u try, and where did u find them?
<<

Johnmcmd

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:31 am

Unless you do a lot of city riding and sitting at idle I wouldn't worry about generator output at idle. The generator will quickly recharge the battery once at speed. It's important to adjust the 3rd brush on the generator to ensure you are charging at the proper rate for the electrical load of the bike. If you have extra lights you'll have to increase the charging rate. Generator output, especially when warmed up is rather puny to begin with and I suspect that back in the day generator charging rates were fine for daytime riding without lights but a loss system when lights were turned on at night. There was a fine line between over charging the battery during the day and draining it at night.

Return to Indians