FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

chief carb

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

flathead1943

Post Tue May 29, 2012 5:36 pm

chief carb

Good evening guys. My 47 chief as aM344 carb and was running great once i switch over hte manifold seals over to peaks. This spring after adjusting the valves,and a bit of cleaning ,got the bike running and it was running rougher then normal. I pulled the air filter and saw some small droplet of gas dripping into the carb. Once i rev it up its ok but it idle way too rich. Black depossit on plugs. Do i need to overall my carb or should i keep tweeking the carb to lean it more ??? Not sure if important but i have no center stand so the bike always rest on side stand Any ideals from the pro outhere Thanks Frank
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue May 29, 2012 10:14 pm

Re: chief carb

Just a quick opinion from me and I will leave the rest to the best for better guidance. Carb is rich so you can eliminate manifold leaks as any issue. Since I do not know the carburator in use very well, I would still look at it as any other carburator when rich symptoms come up. Float valve needle, etc...
<<

Cotten

Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:54 am

Re: chief carb

Flathead43!

Sorry to get into this late,
but this forum's format is unaccessible to my older PCs.

It may seem counter-intuitive for rich-running to suggest a vacuum leak, but it can easily be the result of over-enrichening to accomodate a leak that peaks at a particular rpm.

Even with modern compliant manifold seals, it is still crucial to bubbletest the assembly, as leaks can occur at other interfaces than just the seals. Casting porosities and other unforseen leaks can then be detected, independent of rpm, temperature, etc: http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

There can be condition concerns within the carb of course, but until the possibility of even the tiniest of vacuum leaks are absolutely eliminated, tuning will always be a tail-chase.

With zero leaks, even a worn Linkert is remarkably forgiving!

Let us know how it goes,

....Cotten

Return to Indians