FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

ELECTRICAL GREMLIN

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

ANTEKS

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:22 pm

ELECTRICAL GREMLIN

Need some help with an electrical problem. Any input will be appreciated. '47 Chief starts and runs fine. All electrical components work. However, after running for an hour, the bike will just quit. Horn and lights won't work either. Turn the switch off and back on and she fires right up and minutes later everything works again. Lights bright, horn loud. Seems to be OK with the lights off. I've tried jiggling the switch with no affect. Battery is charged to about 5.75V after running for a while. Thanks, Randy
<<

Neil74

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: ELECTRICAL GREMLIN

Have you checked to see if the battery has electric immediately after shut down. Or is it just not present at the switch? Assuming there are no fuses, double check the ground connection on battery also.
<<

ANTEKS

Post Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:42 am

I haven't checked the voltage at the battery just after shut down, but will the next time it happens. I think I see where you're going.......If the battery has good voltage, then the problem is probably in the switch. As far as ground, it's seems good. And by the way, there is an inline fuse on the ground line. Also, the genny is putting out about 8v, although the battery is only charging to 5.75v when running the lights. ??????? Thanks for the input, Randy
<<

Neil74

Post Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:50 pm

Sounds like your regulator is bad, try cleaning points contacts. Your battery sounds like it may be shorting out , opening between cells an when cooled down good again.

Return to Indians