FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

advice needed for selling a motorcycle over seas

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

cane

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:01 pm

advice needed for selling a motorcycle over seas

Does anyone have any experience selling and shipping a motorcycle over seas? I need some advice on payment type and shipping.
<<

Carl Olsen

Post Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:04 pm

Re: advice needed for selling a motorcycle over seas

Don't sell our heritage overseas, I sold an old 77 shovel last year on ebay and the buyer sent me some phony money orders that were not worth the paper they were written on. I contacted the FBI and the Postal Inspectors and both recomended not to let the bike go, the bank said that there is no limit on the time that the money orders can be called back and the funds deducted from your account. The buyer kept insisting that they were legit, but when I did not send them back he never contacted me and would not work with me on other forms of payment. BEWARE If you want to sell your bike contact me and I will find a willing buyer in America.
Carl
<<

George Greer

Post Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:47 pm

Carl...

That, in my opinion is not really fair... :(

I'm American, born at Ft MacPhearson Army hospital in Atlanta Georgia..

I happen to live and work overseas, for the Army..doing what I love...fixing helicopters.

But I do understand your position.

Now, if I could only find a shortened 45 trannie plug...life would be good.

I guess my search for a set of knuckle cases is going to be like searching for the Holy Grail

George
<<

Carl Olsen

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:39 am

George,
We are email putting the finishing touches on a new batch of WR trans filler plugs and they will be available soon. They are email for price each plus shipping, check out our website under the products heading for other parts you might be interested in and we can ship them all out at once. we are now making numerous Knuckle, bobber, and WR parts for your projects.
Carl and Matt
<<

Kurt

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:00 am

The only way I do anything for that amount anymore is via bank transfer or cash. If the purchaser has the funds for a money order, then they have the funds to do a bank transfer.

If anyone remembers back in 2002 we had a rash of Indonesia scam artists who sent me payments with credit cards. To make a long story short, I was able to process the cards and they were accepted as good, but 30 days later I was hit with charge backs for each one. Here...I didn't make sure the credit card processing company had their security requirements set high enough. They just checked to see if the card # was legit.

Anyway this is leading to a guy I have now pulling the same crap. He ordered from me and used a Calf address. I ping'd his I.P. address and it lead to Indonesia, so I figued I would screw with this a--hole a little. He ordered a shovelhead engine from my Drag Specialties site. I e-mailed him back and said there wasn't enough on the card he gave me to pay for the entire order. He sent me another card via e-mail. I again told him there wasn't enough on the card and once again he sent me an e-mail with another card. I then e-mailed him back and said that was fine, the order was paid for, but there wasn't enough to pay for shipping.......again......he sent me another card. Then, the little pri-k had the balls to "call" here and say he was calling from Calf and wanted to know about his order. Wendy took the call and noticed the prefix was 86......she's been doing this a long time and we have several clients in Asia who call with this same prefix.....so she hung up on him. He e-mailed to find out where his engine was so I figured I would lead him on and say it was backordered for at least 45 days. Tuesday I get an e-mail saying that since I charged his cards he would take "any" engine I could get him. I told him that I was locked into the engine he ordered and I couldn't cancel because I was locked in with a non-refundable deposit. Haven't received a reply yet.

Moral to the story: unless you personally know the person you're dealing with overseas, never take anything less than a bank transfer or cash.......period!

Kurt
<<

cane

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:26 pm

Thanks for the offer Carl, but it's already done.

Kurt, thanks for sharing your experience and making the recommendation. Is a bank transfer typically done through my bank or is that done through a company like Western Union?
<<

Kurt

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:56 pm

I personally wouldn't use Western Union for anything. Do a Google search on Western Union scams........plus they are very expensive to use.

Always have the buyer transfer directly to your bank account. I transfer monies between my business's all the time from Europe to the States and it only costs me about 15 euros.

Kurt
<<

George Greer

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:02 am

Carl, Matt...

Did either of you receive my PM here...

George
<<

Griff

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:23 pm

Cane
I have purchased two bikes from overseas and it was easy (from the buyers perspective), wire the cash and arrange for crating/shipping with a reputable company (they do it all the time), these were from dealers though.

One was Flatheadpower when they were in Sweden (thanks Anders)

The trouble is that there are so many scammers out there (as if you didn't know already), the simple rule is don't ship anything untill the cash is in your bank account, and if they are not cautious about sending you the cash, chances are that they don't have any.

Griff

Return to Knuckles