Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions Knuckles Generator with Mag

Generator with Mag

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Tue May 20, 2008 6:21 pm

A friend has a knuckle he is just getting running. It has a mag and a 65A generator with a Bosch and a battery eliminator. All the electrics work properly using a battery, but nothing works when it is running. I suggested polarizing the generator, and he had never heard of it. Is there anything else I may be missing about this combination?

Post Tue May 20, 2008 6:52 pm

TRY POLARIZING IT. SHOULD GET THE LIGHTS ON. CYCLE ELECTRIC MAKES A GOOD GENERATOR WITH A BUILT IN REGULATOR. I THINK IT HAS A 2YR WARRANTY.
ALOHA, JD 8)

Post Tue May 20, 2008 6:57 pm

Thanks, JD. I have suggested both things and wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything as I have never used the battery eliminator setup before. I have a Cycle Electric in my own bike and it works great.

Post Tue May 20, 2008 8:38 pm

You don't need a battery eliminator. Simply use a pre 1970 XLCH 74511-65 or 74510-59 voltage regulator and the overflow capacitor

Post Wed May 21, 2008 6:07 pm

just curious, how do you polarize it without a battery?

john

Post Wed May 21, 2008 7:45 pm

john HD wrote:
just curious, how do you polarize it without a battery?

john

With the engine running

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:51 pm

hey folks,
i know this is a very old thread but i was wondering if there is a need for an overflow capacitor when using the Cycle Electric generator with built-in regulator? spoke to the folks at Cycle Electric and they said no, but just wanted to double check with you guys since i have a great deal of respect for the collected wisdom here.

btw, i will be using this on a 40 EL stroker engine, kick only, batteryless mag setup.

thanks!
-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:32 am

The capacitor provided a little extra juice for the lights and horn on an XLCH.
VPH-D

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:00 am

great, thanks for the info.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:48 am

VPH-D wrote:
The capacitor provided a little extra juice for the lights and horn on an XLCH.
VPH-D

Actually it provided a steady flow of juice for the horn and lights when idling. But more importantly it kept the system from putting out too much juice and blowing light bulbs. Ask me how I learned this lesson. :(

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:20 pm

I too learned the hard way. Use something to catch the excess from the gen. Lights were fairly cheap but the new battery and regulator cut into my beer stash real good. Cost more than a capacitor for sure. :oops:
Steve H

Post Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:13 am

thanks for the replies guys! do any of you have a part number for this capacitor, or is it listed in the manual for the early sportsters as an "overflow capacitor?"

many thanks,
-dan

Post Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:31 pm

Parts book calls it a Horn Capacitor.
Dusty

Post Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:02 am

I can't find it in my '65 catalogue. Just another missing part from a H-D catalogue

Post Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:35 am

found it, guys. it is:
32727-63 OEM
32-7784 V-TWIN

just for everyone's future reference.

take care,
-dan

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Re; steady power to lights at idle
I had a factory guy tell me 30 years ago that the dim light at idle problem was one of the reasons the mag CH was dropped.
Lawsuits resulting from accidents, that is. Dunno, but it seems reasonable.
VPH-D

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:09 pm

VPH-D wrote:
Re; steady power to lights at idle
I had a factory guy tell me 30 years ago that the dim light at idle problem was one of the reasons the mag CH was dropped.
Lawsuits resulting from accidents, that is. Dunno, but it seems reasonable.
VPH-D

The real reason was the 1970 Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards required vehicle headlamps to opperate for 20 minutes after the engine stopped. 1970 laws also required serial numbers on both motorcycle engine and frame.

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:06 pm

I did not know that. Thanks for the info...
VPH-D

Return to Knuckles