FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Springer Front End

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

plefe

Post Mon Mar 12, 2001 2:12 am

Springer Front End

I keep running into a wall when trying to locate a useable springer or one that's not made of gold for my 47' Knuck. Are there other manufacturers besides Paughco who builds a repop stock looking springer?
<<

Knuck39EL

Post Mon Mar 12, 2001 2:56 am

V-Twin Manufacturing 2001 catalog page 373
<<

plefe

Post Mon Mar 12, 2001 4:13 am

Thanks! I forgot about those guys.
<<

Cotten

Post Mon Mar 12, 2001 2:21 pm

Just a litle note about the forks V-TWIN sells:

I installed a replacement spring fork last year on a customers' '39 OHV, with a repop shock instead of a ride control. When the shock self-destructed after a couple of thousand miles, it twisted the springfork so that the top springrod bushing would pop out of its socket on good bumps.

I stripped her down last week, and decided to straighten one of my own springforks at the same time.

The modern unit could be tweaked by hand anywhere you wanted it, as if made of mud.
The real one (of genuine chrome moly I believe) had to be held in the press and leaned on with my shoulder to get back to square, which it did as if it had "memory".

I can make the same comparison between earlier frames and the crap that H-D put out in the '80s.

What has happened to "steel" these days?
<<

Knuck39EL

Post Mon Mar 12, 2001 4:00 pm

Cotten Thanks for info. I was planning on getting one of their front ends later this year. Any experiences with their repo frames??
<<

plefe

Post Mon Mar 12, 2001 5:04 pm

Thanks. I'll be using a Paughco frame setup for the 47' Knuck. I'm guessing Paughco frame + Paughco springer = Compatability. Just hoping to find a used offset springer cheaper than repop. Of course, by the time the used one is redone, I've got more money in it than the repop.
<<

pressman

Post Mon Mar 12, 2001 9:01 pm

another question..is it possible to cut down an extended springer front end?...i have one and it seems a shame to not use it....
<<

Cotten

Post Tue Mar 13, 2001 3:17 am

Late reply: no experience with V-Twin frames, but I'm anxious to find out.

My experience with Paughco is that you will find yourself TOTALLY custom. Be sure you order fender tabs on the fork.
<<

Knuck39EL

Post Tue Mar 13, 2001 4:39 am

I know a good frame man who is also a V-Twin dealer.I need to get his view on this subject. At present time he's in Florida and I'm not, dammmit.
<<

Cotten

Post Tue Mar 13, 2001 2:12 pm

Pressman!
If you want to cut a real H-D springer back down, it is easiest if it was originally extended with Ford radius rods (whutever that was), since the oval conformity is still there to work with. If round stock had been crammed on the rear legs, then radius rods are your best recourse, but naturally they are as rare as harley parts now. (Anybody into Model A repop stuff?)

And you hope also the extension was sweated with nickle-silver instead of welded, as was the original. Weld repairs often require three different temps of rod to fill nicely: Nickle,Silicon-bronze, and then the silver solders of lower and lower melting temps.

Straightening bent ones is usually the cheapest way to go. I was given a WLC rear fork that was wrecked positively "S"-shaped.
Bending it cold was a grunt, but once it was past center far enough, it sprung to true as if it remembered. Remarkable hardware.
<<

pressman

Post Tue Mar 13, 2001 5:55 pm

hmm not sure...my bos ,an old Harley and Triumph man from the 50's said something about model a parts on it.......i think.....
<<

1937hd45

Post Wed Mar 14, 2001 8:47 am

Model A Fords, something I know about! I hope you are talking about the FRONT wishbone or radius rod, NOT the rear! They are both oval but the front is rolled and welded, the rears are thin gauge rolled to shape but not welded. Either way they look too thick to use. I don't have any V8 rear radius rods laying around, but they may be welded. Got to thinking and went down to the basement and looked at some Model T Ford rear radius rods, they look real close to the right size,and have a nice taper, but I don't know how strong they would be for road work. Hope this helps.
<<

Masterblaster

Post Sat Mar 17, 2001 12:17 am

I used to deal with Ted (V-Twin) quite a lot
about 5 Years ago. I bought 2 of the first repro frames they did manufacture. They were the `55 to `57 straightlegtype. The look just
like the original and everything fit without any further modification.A perfect replacement if you want the original Style.
As far as I know they are made somewhere in the New England Staates.
Now with the Springerforks thats a different Story. Distributed all over Europe and probably made in Poland. I see them suckers pop up at every swapmeet in the Area. And People tend to compare their prices to the OEM Item. So it just happens that I got about
4 complete Springerfrontends left.
If living in the US.of A try my buddy Bill in
Bloomsburg PA. @ www.Billscustomcycles.com
Tell him Uwe sent you.
<<

plefe

Post Sat Mar 17, 2001 12:48 am

Thanks Uwe, already have!
<<

Peter Paul Jung

Post Tue Mar 20, 2001 9:52 am

Cotten
the spring fork that V-Twin sells comes from Poland like the majority of all other repop parts for springer forks. W&W Cycles in Germany (I work for this company) sells this fork since 6 years and after (bad) rumors about the quality we had the fork testet by the German TUV for insurance reasons. This was done without informing the manufacturer. The TUV undertook some severe test rows where they simulate long distance service as well as high load situations. The results were very good and the fork received approval at the first try. Since then we sell this fork with great success and never ever had any returns for fitment or stability problems.
You are right when you say that the original steel feels and sounds different - more like spring steel. According to Palmer and Hatfield this must have something to do with the heating processes during manufacturing. But as you mention, original spring forks do bend as well and perfectly straight original forks are hard to find. I´m not sure if the power required to bring a spring fork back to a square shape says something about its stability under service.
<<

Cotten

Post Tue Mar 20, 2001 1:49 pm

PPJ! You are right, I am being subjective in my judgement of the fork, particularly since this is my only experience with one, and only the springfork at that.
Plus,the self-destructing shock absorber was certainly not a typical stress that the fork was designed for.
The V-Twin packaging indicated the fork was made in "Holland".
<<

plefe

Post Tue Mar 20, 2001 3:19 pm

So, is there enough interest in the good ole USA to produce a quality springer? Is there more interest in Europe for these old bikes than over here? Even if someone went into local shop production, it would be a killer. I know someone in the ozarks of Missouri that has a foundry. He is turning out jugs, heads, and soon cases for 1947 Knuckleheads. His stuff is reasonably priced and way better than the original.
<<

Peter Paul Jung

Post Wed Mar 21, 2001 12:47 pm

Cotten,
V-Twin labels the forks "Holland" because they buy them there from the fork distributor (so do we at W&W). Manufacturing is in Poland, though.
Plefe,
Seems like the former Eastern Block is the only place where you can find people and factories to produce such a complicated thing like a springer fork AT A REASONABLE PRICE! You certainly could have this done in the US or in Germany, too, but then you start with a first production run of 10.000 units plus a deposit of US$ 100.000 for the tools and so on... Western industries are not interested in small numbers - that´s the problem and for springer forks you NEED industry machinery.

Return to Knuckles