FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

light bulbs/shock

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Paul

Post Sun Jul 09, 2000 4:51 am

light bulbs/shock

I have a 47 knuckle. I have replaced the front shock assembly,twice,and each time after riding and hitting bumps, the mounting brackets have bent. This last time, they broke, and shorted out the headlight and tailights. Am I missing something when I install the shock assembly?
Also, the tailight bulb that I blew had a marking of 8 candlepower. I had purchased some bulbs a while ago from J&P, but they are only 4 candlepower, and are REAL dim. The headlight bulb was rated at 35/35 watts. In the aftermarket books I can only find 25/25 watt bulbs. Does anyone have a lead as to where I can get some brighter bulbs? Thanks,
Paul
<<

gadget37

Post Sun Jul 09, 2000 7:18 pm

Another option that you might try is a 6 volt halogen conversion .It brings the wattage up to 50 and 55 on high and yet seems to put less drain on the system.I am running one on my 37 -3 brush system .I did have to addjust the third brush to the far end of the output but ,it does keep up.This set up comes with a reflector and bulb so it will not mess up your original equipment.I took the original and put it on the shelf.Another trick that I have done that helps greatly is to take some Amway silver polish to the original reflector. It is not abraisive and lasts. I myself prefer more light as I have allready hit a dog ,cat, skunk ,coyote, racoon and a cow on a bike and don't want to add to the list.

------------------
gadget37
<<

Cotten

Post Mon Jul 10, 2000 12:37 am

One of my people shredded the top shock bracket of a repop this spring, and now, even though it has been replaced with a ride control, the right spring rod bushing keeps jumping out of its socket!
<<

Cotten

Post Tue Jul 11, 2000 3:50 am

Rene! The shredded shock I had installed was on a '39 with the old saturn-shaped bushings, not the retained round later types. I assume something tweaked because of the shock disaster since there is less than ~5000 miles on a rebush/ straighten/ rebuild. And Fiddleman, if you have the later bushings, you really aught to have the retainers; Perhaps you put in the earlier type?
<<

Paul

Post Tue Jul 11, 2000 6:08 am

Thanks for all you replies. I had another shock, and have installed it. It seems to allow the front end to "work" more. The old shock was extremely stiff. Maybe the oil in it was not correct. It is much more enjoyable to ride, now.
As for the lights, I was able to find an 1154 at the parts store, that works well in the tailight. I will send off for the catalog for the headlight. I run spotlights, also. With these, should I be looking at running he 25 watt bulb?
Thanks again, Paul
<<

Cotten

Post Wed Jul 12, 2000 3:49 am

Rene! Something tweaked or bent from the shock I'm sure. Come cool weather it will be disasembled for sure. Why don't you register on this forum so I can post you these diversions direct? This thread is getting awkward to follow.
<<

hrider 45

Post Sat Jul 29, 2000 7:15 pm

If every one registered and then talked on e-mail then the rest of us cauld not have axcess to this indo
<<

Cotten

Post Sun Jul 30, 2000 1:55 am

Good point!! But I have found that on some internet communities the threads get so strung out, that answers no longer follow the questions! This forum is one of the BEST (!), and we all should try to make everything as comprehendable as possible. (Which brings up: Where did you learn to type, anyway,... AMI or MMI?)
<<

gadget37

Post Sun Jul 30, 2000 5:30 pm

RENE :You do not have to include your email in your registration if you do not wish to.

------------------
gadget37
<<

ROGELIO

Post Wed Aug 23, 2000 6:15 am

Paul:
If you use a high wattage bulb and have trouble keeping your battery up a temporary solution we used 50 years ago was to turn on the light switch and then set your high-low switch in the center so the beam goes out. Your generator will charge as though the headlight was on but this solution should not be used more than 15-20 minutes at a time
or your battery may boil, however it will generally charge your battery enough to get you home.

Return to Knuckles