FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Knuck cases

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Boogiemanz1

Post Tue Aug 08, 2000 6:51 am

Knuck cases

Hey Cotten, I talked to you the other day on the phone about a set of repaired cases that had a weld over part of the number boss. These are '40 cases, and the bottom numbers match. The last part of the engine number is visible on the boss. Is there a legal way to replace the damaged case and still be legal.
<<

Cotten

Post Tue Aug 08, 2000 1:57 pm

It's all a matter of how well you work with your authorities. Since it is not a removed and them re-stamped VIN, it technically hasn't been felonized. In Illinois the authorities may even let it be dressed by a licensed repairer and then re-stamped by the state, since the year and model designation would be fairly obvious. You have a good paper trail? The worst possible scenario is that they might consider the number altered even though it was not fudged, in which case I believe you could still request that the VIN be assigned to replacement cases, and surrender the original left. Is it repairable otherwise?
<<

Cotten

Post Tue Aug 08, 2000 11:32 pm

You can't keep your Harley registration unless you surrender the originals, and have the repops stamped.
Just fix 'em.
<<

Boogiemanz1

Post Tue Aug 08, 2000 11:53 pm

In the case of the '69, if it is original, it only has engine numbers for a vin. In Oklahoma, everything runs on frame numbers, except pre 1970 HD's which are registered by the engine. In this state you would be given a builders title for your '69 with the model year being the year you register it. I'm sure you realize that the value of a '69 HD restored and having S&S cases will not be as good as it would be with stock cases. Cotten on my '40 cases I just have a bill of sale as I bought them as part of an estate. That is all that is required in OK. With all the filing and grinding this guy did I don't know if everything is kosher or not. I know that from all indications these cases had not been moved for 15 to twenty years prior to my purchase, and I've had them since about 1990. some of the 45 stuff I got with them I had to dig out of the dirt floor of his old garage. If I can get some pictures of these things maybe I can E-mail them to you. The only thing wrong with the cam side is the front motor mount worn away.
<<

Cotten

Post Wed Aug 09, 2000 2:29 am

Boogieman! On your '40, the question isn't one of theft, as there (I assume) is no re-stamping of the first digits of the VIN. That's why in Illinois, your bill of sale, and a title bond, and maybe an affidavit from a dealer or two, might pass allowing for legitimate re-stamping.
They then get picky about whether or not you have the entire bike, etc.
Every authority is different.
<<

Boogiemanz1

Post Wed Aug 09, 2000 4:00 pm

I'm hoping to repair these cases to use on a semi- restored bike for my wife to ride. In Okla, the state has no provisions to restamp any numbers. They will issue you a number to stamp in your frame on a shopbuilt motorcycle. This case may be saved if it were possible to restamp it after the welding. I think I would want some kind of verification that it was done legally to carrywith me

Return to Knuckles