FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

new and uninformed knuck owner

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

panic

Post Wed Feb 23, 2000 1:18 am

Did you kiss the seller when you f***** them? $1K is a steal for the motor! Give me the VIN (left case stamping) and the small numbers stamped on the top of the carburetor body ("M-??"), and we'll go from there. Is the motor bolted down in the frame? Should be 3/8" spacer under the front motor mount - very important!
<<

Cotten

Post Wed Feb 23, 2000 1:12 pm

Sounds tooo good..Did you get a title with this?..Does this late model swingarm frame still have its neck numbers? And while you are checking the motor VIN, peek at the belly production numbers down by your skid guard. If the front fork is late model, it will have a number on the lower tree also on the lock tab. Let's hope none are missing or altered.
<<

dotman

Post Wed Feb 23, 2000 4:08 pm

Smells like someone died around here..
its been at least 30 years since i saw a knuckle motor in a frame of any sort go for a grand. Thats kinda the equivalent of HD's in 1970
We must have stumbled onto someone seriously
uninformed or desparate or nefarious.

But good luck to ya
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Fri Feb 25, 2000 12:42 pm

" That far back" really is no retrograde movement. With all that FHP and others have done, you can have a bike that will not only be the best example of Harleys work, it can also be the fastest. With the monetary head start that you have, the sky should be the limit for a resto or a custom. Keep the faith man, all that new stuff may be shiny, but it is like a big leg, woman its got no soul. Not to mention they don't look as good and don't go as fast.Knuckleheads forever!
<<

Cotten

Post Fri Feb 25, 2000 3:12 pm

Your mis-matched cases are no problem, and neither is your VIN unless it matches the production number (they never did, and nearly always were lower than the belly number.) Your swingarm frame would seem to be a pre-70 model also, which is great! Perhaps you made the purchase of the millenium, as I would appraise a basket '40 OHV motor at over three times what you paid for the whole bike, particularly with the desireable M-5 Linkert. I suggest you locate someone with experience to look all of your hardware over, and then look forward to the adventure of putting your own touch on her!
<<

dotman

Post Sat Feb 26, 2000 12:23 am

Lets see it! you can attach it to a post on this board
<<

Cotten

Post Sat Feb 26, 2000 3:50 pm

Bastard bikes are best! I found that swingarm chassis are a little heavy for 61 inchers, but I love my '37 NeglectaGlide anyway. (How do I properly post a j-peg here?) Look far and wide for a licensed shop that will take the time to personally look over your paperwork as well as your mechanical needs.
<<

dotman

Post Tue Feb 29, 2000 4:05 pm

great looking project should make a real nicce ride....now

Git yer motor running.....
Git out on the hiway...... Image

Return to Knuckles