FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

repairing a brokeen head

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

krusey

Post Mon Feb 07, 2000 1:14 am

repairing a brokeen head

I have an oppertunity to buy a pair of knuckle heads but one of them has a rocker box mounting tab and a rocker shaft suport broken off. how difficult would this be to repair or how costly to have repaired. I do not think the broken off pieces remain in existance.

[This message has been edited by krusey (edited 07 February 2000).]
<<

don

Post Mon Feb 07, 2000 3:14 am

You need to find someone who is really good with a Heli-Arc Tig welder, and trust in their abilitys if it's aluminum, and the same applies to cast iron [a little more involved]
Don

[This message has been edited by don (edited 07 February 2000).]

[This message has been edited by don (edited 07 February 2000).]
<<

booger

Post Tue Feb 15, 2000 8:39 pm

welding cast is a very major league pain in the ass..you can braze it ..but that is questionable..and seeing as you don't have the peices ..what the fuck ..they sound like door stops to me ...
to weld ...a nickle /siver rod is used ..a "united" (ithink ) FC13 or FC11..the part needs to be brought up to heat ..in a oven ..welded ...and then slow cooled either in sand or back in the oven ..if done correctly..it'll hold ...most welders won't messed with it .."Joe Kool" ..does head repair..i have his number somewhere..as well as 1 or 2 more i know ..but you don't have the peices ...so in my humble opinion ...LEAVE THAT SET WHERE THEY ARE ..unless they are like 25 bucks ..then buy them ..and I'll tell ya some ideas that can make them run .. Image but they won't be Knucks persay Image

Return to Knuckles