FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

more O rings

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

fhsmith1

Post Thu May 02, 2013 4:17 pm

more O rings

All
After posting my last pics I realized I had ripped off somebody else’s (sorry) post so I decided to open a new post. These pics (and my last) are my last attempt to improve the original sealing deign or the rocker boxes.
All my previous attempts have been temporary at best. I would not mind a small leak but after a few thousand miles the smoke (from oil on the pipes) covers the bike.
I will continue to post as I make progress.
F
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Fri May 03, 2013 11:16 am

Re: more O rings

Colony makes replacement Knuckle nuts with an "O" ring already in them. On page 29 in thier catalogue part number 7110-8. http://www.colonymachine.com/ColonyCatalog2013.pdf
<<

fhsmith1

Post Fri May 03, 2013 3:07 pm

Chris
I have a set of those. These Orings are to seal the other side of the shaft where the tin meets the head.
F
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sun May 05, 2013 8:07 pm

fhsmith1 wrote:Chris
I have a set of those. These Orings are to seal the other side of the shaft where the tin meets the head.
F

That may be a problem with correctly spacing the rocker arms.
<<

fhsmith1

Post Mon May 06, 2013 11:15 am

Chris
The inside diameter of the O ring is just larger than the outside diameter of the shaft. The tin compresses the O ring but the tin bottoms out directly against the head. Tin is still sandwiched between head and shaft. O ring compression is figured at .010". I will measure rocker shaft end play before final assembly.
F
<<

fhsmith1

Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:56 pm

All
I did get the knucklehead together a couple of weeks ago. Runs great but leaks as bad as ever. This time it’s the front exhaust lower tin. It’s cut too short and doesn’t compress into the large round seal between the tin and rocker box itself. I just didn’t pay attention there. They are new tins from Vtwin. I had to modify them a lot anyway to get them to not hit the rocker arms themselves. After taking it all back apart I can see where all 4 tins are inconsistent, upper and lower. I have surfaced them down even and true with a valve seat grinder and stone turned around backwards. They are very straight and true now but I will have to use double washer (spacers) under the large rubber seal between the rocker box and tins.
More later.
F
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:49 pm

My engine builder tried a set of V-Twin tins,,,,ONCE! :D
<<

fhsmith1

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:54 pm

Chris
Hell I had to treat them like a dented fender. Hammer, dolley, finally bolted a deep well socket in the middle where the rocker arm goes and hammered around it, just trying to make the center close to round. Some of them rubbed the rocker arm itself.
F
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:14 am

I appreciate someone who makes a good replacement part. But people who sell parts they know are junk should have their nut sacks slowly ripped off.
<<

fhsmith1

Post Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:31 am

All
During my last teardown I did a test i should have done first. I assembled all 4 of the rockers in the boxes but outside the heads, hooked up the oil feed lines and pressurized them with a squirt cup. I used automatac trans fluid. This was to test the rockers ability to retain oil and not flood the tins. 3 of the rockers did fine with just a small ooze from the bushing and oil hole next to the valve spring. 1 of them almost squirted oil from this hole. Further investigation showed the bushing was most likely mismachined just inside the oil feed hole. This let unrestricted oil flow into the oil hole next to the valve spring and flood the tin. I replaced the bushings in the 1 rocker and had it line honed. I retested and found the flow of oil to be about the same as the other 3 rockers. These are also Vtwin rockers that came with spiral cut bushings. The bushings were replaced with shovelhead bushings.

I finished assembling the bike and rode it several miles. So far so good. Only residual oil is dripping off and the heads appear to be dry.

Seems like everything I do takes caes of the leak for about 2000 miles so I'll report back on this later on.
F
<<

fhsmith1

Post Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:50 pm

All
It's been about 1 year since my experiment with Orings to seal the top end.

I'm proud to say I have about 3000 miles on the machine now and it's as dry as it was a year ago. It's actually dryer than my shovelheads. I just hope I'm not jinxing it by this post.
F
<<

T.Shoe

Post Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:42 pm

I am getting ready to install a S&S breather valve with the improved vacume for the tins have you tried this part?

ride to live tshoe
<<

LarryP

Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:04 pm

I modified a stock breather to resemble the S&S part. There was a dramatic increase in vacuum.
<<

fhsmith1

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:08 pm

T.Shoe
I installed a breather gear supplied by S&S when I went through the engine about 8 years ago. I don't think they have changed it since. It still drenched the bike with oil.

I think my major problem has been the updated rocker arms with spiral cut bushings. I changed them to solid ones for a shovelhead early on but there is an art form to getting them honed to fit. If it's not right there is nothing to keep the oil from flooding the tins. The rocker arm to shaft fit is the final restriction. If the shaft is pressurized with a squirt cup with the arm installed on it it should ooze a small amount of oil out the bushings. If the fit or the bushing isn't right it floods.
F

Return to Knuckles