FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

EL Bonnie Knuck and the Salt

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Early Iron Motorcycles

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:44 am

Re: EL Bonnie Knuck and the Salt

Good luck to you and the guys John, I'm sure you guys will be comming home with a new record.

Mark.
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:50 am

Mark,
I have lost your e-mail address. Please pm me with it so I can add you to my Bonneville report list.
<<

George Greer

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:10 pm

Good luck!!!

George
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:11 pm

john k. endrizzi wrote:Mark,
I have lost your e-mail address. Please pm me with it so I can add you to my Bonneville report list.

Why not just post it here for everybody?
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:49 am

Well, I,m at Bonneville. We have the bike teched in and I, registered. We had a nasty thunder storm yesterday after.. rnoon. It left the salt under as much as 6 inches of water. I'm writing this from my motel room as we wait for the word to return. Pete Hill, Bud Schmidt and Jim Leinweber visited our pit yesterday and gave their approval of El Bonnie Knuck. I would post images, but sadly I don't have image editing software on my laptop.
<<

George Greer

Post Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:24 pm

John,

Good luck there, I hope it all turns out the way its intended.

Take your time on the pic's......

I think we all can wait a bit more.

George Greer
<<

Lee W

Post Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:57 pm

Pete Hill, Bud Schmidt and Jim Leinweber visited our pit yesterday

Wow John, that's like a trifecta of my Knucklehead heros!
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:22 pm

Pete rode his bike all the way out to Bonneville from his home in Greenville, South Carolina. He made in three days ! Now hows that for an 80 year old ? Jim Leinweber's son Justin was to have ridden Ron Cafey's 80 inch Knucklehead. Unfortunately Ron holed a piston three times and was side lined. El Bonnie Knuck ( newly re-christened as The Goose ) also had piston problems. The motor sounded strong for the first three gears. We could detect a very slight change in the exhaust beat just before Terry shifted to 4th. They have a short distance FM station at the track. We were headed to the back end with the truck to tow Terry back to the pit, when the announcer gave his speed as 59 mph. Of course we new right away that something had gone wrong. A compression test verified by a peak thru the rear spark plug hole showed a small piece of aluminum missing from the intake valve area of thew piston. We are gratified to have made at least one full past ( actually even that was not complete, as the crosswinds were so strong that Terry was not able to reach full throttle). The Salt spirits are mercurial sometimes ! Our new friend Tom Jorgensen from Norway DID put together two good runs. He qualified for a record at just over 150 mph with his 80 inch blown Knucklehead. I will post more on the BUB speed Trial adventure when I get home and am able to re-size some images to go along . This image size limit REALLY SUCKS !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:23 am

I'm home . Here is a nice shot of Pete Hill at our pit. One of the first things that Pete asked about was Anders Nygren. He misses you too Anders !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:36 pm

Pictures . Ask questions if you would like info. With no comments, it's pretty tough to generate much enthusiasm for spending time composing text.
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Three images is all that you can attach in one post. Argh ! The first image is of Tom Jorgenson's 80 inch Rotrex blown Knucklehead . He set a class record at over 150 ! Image 2 shows the packing blanket that we use to keep the gas tank shaded. A guy had a NOS bottle explode while in the sun at the starting queue. The 3rd shot shows Bud Schmidt telling Pete Hill what drag racing a dual engine Knucklehead was like back in the early 1950's
Last edited by john k. endrizzi on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:50 pm

The weather can change in the blink of an eye. We had two inches of rain in twenty minutes on Sunday afternoon. That shut racing down til Tuesday morning.
Last edited by john k. endrizzi on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

37ULH

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:19 pm

Sorry it didn't go better but hope that you can get it resolved for Ohio's ECTA event later this month with improved results.
If this is a realistic target, registration ASAP would be prudent.
Good luck and hope to see you there.
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:37 am

No chance that we will make the Wilimington September meet. We are however hoping to make it next April.
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:10 am

<<

37ULH

Post Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:58 pm

Yikes that was close!!!!!!
April will allow a lot more time to get some things sorted and tuck back a little green.
I want another shot with my 45" hybrid we ran at Maxton and hope to make the same meet with it. Also have a buddy that plans to see what he can get out of a 165cc Hummer.
We're going to the Sept. meet so he can get familiar with the setup.
Good luck with the bike. It sounds good!
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:12 pm

37ULH,
Please give us a report on the Sept meet. Images and peripheral info will be highly appreciated. I hope to talk my friend Pat L. into bringing his 1939 WLDD to Wilmimgton. He beats up on big twins on the street ! The bike features serious porting and a STOCK frame w/4speed tranny ! BTW there was a 905 cc 45 in our class at BUB. It was a Bandidos M/C entry. He had venting problems an crapped out in the measured mile. The motor sounded super strong.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:23 pm

John...Do you have the date on Wilmington ?
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:29 pm

Pa,
I'm relying on the ECTA site and thus far they haven't announced any dates for the 2013 season. The 2012 April meet was at the tail end of the month.
<<

37ULH

Post Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:56 pm

They both look like fun to me!
We'll likely just go for Saturday but I'll be happy to share what i can.
PreviousNext

Return to Knuckles