Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions Knuckles stay with s pipe or go drag

stay with s pipe or go drag

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:05 pm

I have always had s pipe exhast on my bike.Now thinking of more power with drag pipe style exhast.Any thoughts on this.

ride to live tshoe

Post Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:32 pm

Not sure on the performance end of it, but 15/20 years ago I threw a set of used drag pipes on my Knuck just for a change of pace. I left them on for long enough to go around the block. A right hand corner was near impossible with a stock frame and stock springer. I decided the "drag" in drag pipe had more to do with the pipe dragging on the ground than drag racing. Just something to consider before spending the money.

Post Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:49 pm

I am running a 3" over glide.But it would still hang low.Maybe somesort of custom front pipe?If the power is good.

live to ride tshoe

Post Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:40 am

Drag pipes usually kill low end power.

Post Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:23 am

This motor has lots of low end power stump pulling power. trying to get more top end.

ride to live tshoe

Post Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:27 am

Taller gears. :D

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:33 pm

I ran an S pipe in conjunction with a set of shotguns years ago, and the power seemed comparable to drags, Don't think the flattened section costs too much power, just using the seat of the pants dyno, or course.

Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:40 am

I ran both drag pipes and upswept fishtails with S-pipe and mufflers on a UL chopper about 25 years ago, and I didn't notice any difference in performance. I did a lot of riding on hilly, curvy roads, so the bike got a real workout all through the RPM range and gears. I preferred the drags, however, because of the cool blue flames out of them at night.

Return to Knuckles