FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

knucklehead document help request

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

budoka

Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:01 pm

knucklehead document help request

hello there folks. i've finally finished building the knucklehead i've always dreamed about, and now i'm going through the process of getting it legal here. the process in Japan is long and complicated, but i have everything i need documentation-wise with the exception of one piece.

i need something that shows how many horsepower an EL makes, and at what RPM. this doesn't have to be original Harley literature, and seems like it can be just about any form of printed material (restoration guide, etc is ok). if anyone has anything with that info on it, can you scan it for me?

i have Palmer's book and have looked through it, but unless i missed it, that info is not in there. the factory service manual only shows an NACC power rating, with no info about RPMs (which is not surprising if i understand the NACC power rating system correctly).

i know ELs are generally considered to produce 40 HP, but i need documentation of some form that shows that (and at what RPM that occurs).

if someone could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

thanks!
-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:25 am

Re: knucklehead document help request

I think that information will be in an original owners manual for an EL or FL of the year you built. If someone doe not come through for you on our forum, try JKE's forum over at http://www.knucklenutz.com/tech/ . Pa
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:52 pm

HD didn't list SAE Hp ratings at the time the Knucklheads were built. The NACC rating is all that will be found in the manual.
<<

budoka

Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:56 pm

Pa! , John, thank you so much for the replies! i was afraid that the NACC rating was all there may be, but the officials are saying they have to have "something printed" that shows a figure at a certain RPM. i've seen references to 40 BHP at 4,800 RPM on the net, but what those sites are using for reference, i have no idea. i have a couple of emails out to see, so maybe something will turn up.

on page 48 in "The Complete Harley Davidson" by Tod Rafferty, it also lists this figure (looking at it on Google Books), but i don't have that book, and even if i buy it (which i plan to do anyway, since i don't have it and it seems like a good read) i won't be able to submit it by Monday. if i can't, i'll survive, but it will just mean that i won't get to ride my bike until around July or so. not the end of the world, but i'm sure you folks understand.

thanks again for trying to help out, it is appreciated.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:14 am

John....what about the military Knucklehead and Big Twin Flathead Operators manuals ? Though I've yet to view one of those mil spec operators manuals, I do own the mil spec 45 WLA one and it does specify that data. Would they not have noted the same type of data in those ? Pa
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:24 pm

I dug this up on the Knucklehead. These numbers represent a riders handbook. Usually the riders handbook will provide weight and dimensions of a motorcycle. If you can locate one of these, you may have found what you seek. Try searching for these part numbers 13860-50 or 99460-50. Your local Harley Davidson dealership may be able to get this handbook for you.

Also....Dave Minerva lists some specs on his knucklehead at the following link. http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/asp/cla ... .asp?id=29
Maybe Dave can shed some light on factory literature for you ? Pa
<<

budoka

Post Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:01 pm

thank you so much Pa, for taking the time to look for this stuff for me. thanks to everyone's help, a really kind fellow was able to scan and send me the info i needed. now i should be all go for the inspections on May 11th, and riding the same day!

thank you all so much for your help, it truly is appreciated!

-dan

PS, did i ever post a photo of the final product for you guys?
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:02 pm

I don't recall ever seeing the photos and I would also like to see that scan, if possible. Pa
<<

budoka

Post Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:43 am

sounds good, Pa. PM me your email address and i'll send you the scans i received.

here are a couple of shots of the bike in its "ready for inspections" form that i took earlier today. after inspections, the mirror on the left side, the horn and switch, and the ugly tail light assembly will all be gone. the headlight will be swapped out for a smaller one, and a side mount plate mount/tail light assembly will go on.

take care,
-dan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:34 am

Dan,
Congrats on the finished product. You must get some detail shots up. Please share them here and on my board also. As you probably know, I'm collaborating on a dual carb 61EL to run at Bonneville. I am most interested to hear how you have your heads set up.What carbs? What size intake valves are you running ? Have you had the heads flow tested and if so what are the numbers. What grind cam are you running? I would also like a copy of your scan.
Thanks
JKE
terrapin@wctc.net
<<

john HD

Post Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:58 am

dan,

perhaps this will help. from jerry hatfield's inside harley davidson page 162.

john

on edit, my scanner is down right now but it shows 43.5 hp at 5100 rpm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:09 am

PM sent Dan. That is an awesome looking machine ! Personalization at its best !! I echo the others. More info and more pics. Pa
<<

budoka

Post Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:33 am

you've got mail, Pa and John. and thanks for the kind words.

about the engine, apparently it was built by Pete Hill originally. it was recently completely rebuilt by Jamie Barber of The 74 Shop. it has an Andrews "S" grind cam, Rowe black nitride 1/16" oversize Shovelhead intake valves, 80" 8.5:1 pistons, the exhaust ports are Panhead ports, and of course the intake ports were welded shut and turned out 90 degrees to mount dual carbs.

it had a pair of SUs from an old Volvo car on it, but they weighed in at 8 lbs. all that weight hanging off the heads kind of gave me the willies, so i bought a brand new pair of 36 mm Mikuni VM carbs to run on it. i don't have them dialed in perfectly yet, but they are pretty close, and the knuckle seems to like them pretty well. i know a lot of folks may see putting Mikunis on a knuckle as blasphemy, but i plan on putting in a lot of miles together with this bike and that's the reason i've chosen some of the things i have (like the disc brakes and Avon tires).

from the beginning, my goal was to build everything i could for this bike, and i pretty much have. the forks, handlebars, foot controls, paint, seat, seat pan, plate mount, exhaust tips, key and kill switch switch cylinder, etc, etc, etc, were all made by me (with the help of friends here and there along the way, of course). i've already got a ton of love for it,and am so anxious to get some riding time in.

anyway, here are some more random shots.

take care,
-dan
<<

budoka

Post Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:35 am

and more.

take care,
-dan
<<

budoka

Post Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:36 am

last one.

-dan
<<

Tonyg

Post Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:12 pm

That's a real nice Knuckle! How has it been performing? Anymore updated photos?
Thanks!

Tony G

Return to Knuckles