hi just seen this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... tem=#v4-42

regards jib
Dude, check out that jibhead, he's crazy. Hasn't been sober for 40 years
<<

MarkBranst

Post Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: 41 el on ebay

Interesting ... I'd love to hear some discussion on those numbers.

It kind of looks like to me some of the numbers are real and some may be restamps ... Especially the "41" where there is some clear porosity in the aluminum. I'm guessing when the left case blew, it took out some of the number boss. Or is that porosity in the range of normal? Any thoughts?

Also, I was under the impression that 41 cases, especially a 5000-range case, would have the improved cases, not the earlier form. What is the general "knowledge" as to the transition between "old" cases and "new" cases?

Thanks in advance, Mark
<<

45Brit

Post Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:19 pm

if that bike is 'barn fresh', I'm a chinaman. Where is the ingrained dust in the inaccessible corners, the surface corrosion on the chrome, the cracked saddle and perished tyres?

we're obviously meant to understand that the bike is in full rideable condition and has been ridden recently. It has plainly had some superficial refurbishment and a thorough clean-up, at the very least. I'd be looking for actual 'as-found' pictures at this point.... looks like an older restoration to me.

This is going to cost someone a lot of money, it's nearly $25,000 already and it hasn't even reached reserve. It's a relatively short-period sale with a seven-day settlement period. Someone has put in a big bid three days ago and the other bids are ramping against it. I'll be interested to see who actually wins it, and for how much.

I quite enjoy watching ebay, I like going to auctions come to that. But pay that kind of money for a bike with no known provenance or history? Not me, especially in a country where the police seize bikes with bad numbers and the bike has a huge weld across the number boss and no documents.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

George Greer

Post Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:00 am

Ebay is becoming a big shopping center.

And a large joke.

A lot of items are now being listed with Buy-it-now.

It is also driving the prices of parts so high that no one in their right mind would consider buying.

How about the $8000 dollar set of EL cases that did not have matching belly numbers, broken mounting lugs, and questionable VIN...in my way of thinking......that is plain crazy. But people buy items like that.

Perhaps I am becoming bitter/hateful, in my old age.

Grumpy George in Germany

Return to Knuckles