FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

intake leaks

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Neil74

Post Thu May 06, 2010 6:58 am

intake leaks

I asked this question last nite but it seems to have disappeared:) A friend has brought over a set of Knuckleheads, it has o-ring seals and he wants to go back to plumbers style. In the past I have sealed them up with a Teflon pipe paste I got from a mold shop I worked in,I can,t find the tube to give you the name but I'm still looking. My question is, do the S&S heads still use the threaded inserts and what do they use if so?
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Thu May 06, 2010 7:24 am

Re: intake leaks

S&S (Flathead Power ) Knuckleheads use Pan style o-ring intakes nipples
<<

Neil74

Post Thu May 06, 2010 8:49 am

Thanks John, are they removable like the old heads? or machined as part of the head? If removable, what does S&S recommend to seal the threads?
<<

Cotten

Post Thu May 06, 2010 5:52 pm

Neil!

No matter what sealer is chosen, the next formulation of pump gas doesn't care if it eats it.

To the best of my research, H-D used no sealers and depended entirely upon mechanical seal.

Indian used an unidentified nipple compound, perhaps white lead.

We are all in the same boat.

....Cotten
<<

Neil74

Post Thu May 06, 2010 9:49 pm

I guess we'll seal it up best we can and re-do it when needed. If things keep on like this we won't be able to ride them much longer anyway. Our fearless leaders will have us all on one of these http://www.flixxy.com/honda-u3-x-person ... device.htm Kind of reminds me of the video with the missing motorcycles:)
<<

Neil74

Post Sun May 09, 2010 6:48 am

Interesting that you've found no sealer on the threads, I wonder if the second part of my replacement does more for sealing than the Teflon Shop Dope. I have allways finished the repairs with a generous dose of engine heat paint, After starting the machine and allowing a short warm up I recheck the headbolts and reapply another coating of paint by brush. Rewarm again and apply a third brushed on coat of paint. It may be that the paint is doing most of the sealing:) The two brushed on applications are applied to the threaded areas only.

Return to Knuckles