FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Super E on a 1947 Knuck?

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

shovel66

Post Wed May 06, 2009 2:42 am

Super E on a 1947 Knuck?

Wondering if anyone here has a Super E on a late Knucklehead. Is there an adapter for the OEM manifold or would the manifold have to be changed? Also is there an adapter to put the original round air filter cover on the Super E? Any ideas or opinions be appreciated.
Shovel
<<

BrentCross@Bronko's

Post Wed May 06, 2009 6:05 am

Re: Super E on a 1947 Knuck?

In my opinion it is too much carb for a stock (assuming it is stock) 74". You would be much better off with the Linkert, or a late model CV carb. The smaller carb will give much better throttle response. I have a late CV on my Knuck and it works very well. Others may disagree, but bigger is not always better. Brent@BRONKO'S.
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Wed May 06, 2009 7:08 am

I have run both Shorty E & CV. I concur with Brent. The CV has much sharper throttle response.
john
<<

VPH-D

Post Wed May 06, 2009 2:15 pm

Another alternative would be the Bendix carb. The XL models were 36mm and the Big Twin's were 38mm. Either has the ability to use the solid wire throttle cable and round air cleaner. You'll need a pull type throttle sleeve and a Bendix round backing plate. Never had any luck with the adjustable main jet version.
VPH-D
<<

Boots99

Post Sat May 09, 2009 10:57 am

Well I run a Super 'E" on my '40 Knuck, but its bored and stroked out to 89 inches. 3-1/2" X 4-5/8" Works really well and easy to tune. You do have to change the head flanges to take the S & S or similiar intake manifold.
<<

shovel66

Post Tue May 19, 2009 7:59 pm

Thank you all for the great info. I got locked out of the forum because my e-mail address changed. Got it all resolved thanks to the great people who run this forum. Yes the Knuck is stock, so will stay away from the "E".
Later.
<<

s eagle

Post Wed May 20, 2009 6:33 am

I've been running a Mikuni VM 38mm Round Slide for a long time on my EL, great improvement over the Linkard i was running before. A wide range of tunable components allows you to really dial it in. You can check them out here:

http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/Mikuni_V ... t_C146.cfm

or here

http://www.sudco.com/mikuni.html

If you do decide to go the Mikuni route Sudco's tuning manual is invaluable:

http://www.sudco.com/tool.html#002-999
Steven

1946 knucklehead
1976 shovelhead
2006 road king

Youth and enthusiasm is no match for age and treachery.
<<

Randall

Post Wed May 20, 2009 1:46 pm

Howdy folks,

Back when I was running a custom bike shop in the 80's guys would commonly come in with new 1000cc Sporties or 74" Shovels and want an S&S Super and straight pipes installed. I'd ask them what they wanted to do with the bike and usually they say they just wanted to cruise around. I'd tell them that the combination of carb (the Super had no accelerator pump) and pipes they wanted would likely result in less power than the stock Bendix or Keihin in the low and mid-range of the power band where they were doing most of their riding, but they didn't want to hear it. The Super would work acceptably with an 80" engine but to see any real benefits you needed 84" or better. We used to install Mikuni cable-actuated accelerator pumps on the Supers to help cure the hesitation you'd get on smaller motors when the throttle was snapped open suddenly. That said, the Super was very well-made and reliable. The new shorties with built-in accelerator pump should be even better.

I ran a round-slide 38mm Mikuni for awhile on my '46 FL 74". It performed well, but with fatbob tanks it was neccessary to run a throttle cable with a 90 degree elbow where the cable entered the top of the carb. This would occasionally hang-up the throttle cable. I could usually snap the throttle open and shut to break it loose and get it to idle down, but once, in heavy San Antonio traffic, it hung in the full open position when I did this, resulting in a bent pushrod before I could shut the racing engine down. I replaced the Mikuni with a 38mm butterfly-throttle Keihin from the take-off pile and it worked well for years.

On the 80" Knuckle I'm riding now I have installed a CV Keihin. I had some initial teething problems with it, but after replacing the aftermarket "tuner's kit" that I'd initially used in the rebuild with factory parts, it is running great. CV Keihins can be had for little or nothing, mine came free from the take-off pile at a friend's shop, and with the proper jetting work great. That'd be my recommendation for a retofit on a stock 74".
--- Randall
<<

s eagle

Post Thu May 21, 2009 4:55 pm

Randall wrote:Howdy folks,

Back when ...

I ran a round-slide 38mm Mikuni for awhile on my '46 FL 74". It performed well, but with fatbob tanks it was neccessary to run a throttle cable with a 90 degree elbow where the cable entered the top of the carb. This would occasionally hang-up the throttle cable. I could usually snap the throttle open and shut to break it loose and get it to idle down, but once, in heavy San Antonio traffic, it hung in the full open position when I did this, resulting in a bent pushrod before I could shut the racing engine down. I replaced the Mikuni with a 38mm butterfly-throttle Keihin from the take-off pile and it worked well for years.

--- Randall

My 46EL has fatbob tanks and as Randal states one needs to run the 90deg elbow to clear the fatbob tanks, however, Randal's experience with the throttle cable hanging up has not been my experience. I've had the Mikuni on the knuck since '78 or '79.
Steven

1946 knucklehead
1976 shovelhead
2006 road king

Youth and enthusiasm is no match for age and treachery.

Return to Knuckles